We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

Salt Lake City, Utah
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

I am gong to the Grand Teton National Park in early October to scatter my brother's ashes. In order to get a permit from the NPS, I need to know where I want to do this. My brother loved the area and asked only that his ashes be scattered in the Tetons, but he didn't specify a specific place. Since I am unfamiliar with the area, I need advice on an appropriate place that is easy to reach but not crowded. Any ideas?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

The Jenny Lake Overlook might be suitable. It's easily reached and shouldn't be crowded in early October, especially if you get there early in the day.

Salt Lake City, Utah
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

Thanks for the suggestion. I found some photos of the site on the Internet and it is beautiful.

I have a concern that maybe you can address for me. The GTNP has the following restriction & condition for scattering ashes, "Cremated remains cannot be deposited within 100 yards of a flowing stream, river or body of water, or within a developed area." Would the Jenny Lake Overlook be considered to be a developed area or be within 100 yards of the lake?

Thanks again for your help.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

I have no information to share, but please accept my sympathies on your loss. And what a tough but wonderful thing to do for your brother.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

>Would the Jenny Lake Overlook be considered to be a developed area or be within 100 yards of the lake?

The overlook is not within 100 yards of a developed area, but it IS within 100 yards of the lake. If you decide to use a location farther away from water, let me know and I'll try to come up with alternatives.

Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

One of the most picturesque places in the Tetons is at the Chapel of Transfiguration. Bill, do you think that would be good place? Or what about Morman Row?

Larry

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

The Chapel is picturesque, and of course adds a religious setting. Although I've never scattered ashes, I would think that you'd want a location where the ashes would disperse, either into water or into the wind. I'm concerned that at the Chapel or on Mormon Row, the ashes would just drop to the ground. Mormon Row is a dirt road that runs through a part of Antelope Flats. I'm not sure there's anything special about the location.

You could instead consider finding some quiet, windy spot at the top of Signal Mountain one early morning. Or if you want to consider using a body of water, you could go to any number of secluded spots on the Gros Ventre River, easily accessible by driving east from Gros Ventre Junction. The likelihood of a park ranger interfering there is just about zero.

Salt Lake City, Utah
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

Thanks for the ideas, I will see if I can find some pictures of these areas. My preference would be to scatter the ashes from the top of a mountain or side of a cliff so that the ashes would scatter in the wind, but my bad knees won't allow me to do much climbing. I am wondering if Signal Mountain might be too much of a climb for me? Do you know of a gentle trail that would be easy for me to reach or a road off the beaten path with a cliff overlook?

A friend suggested the Spalding Bay road, Two Oceans lake or the turnout on the Snake river. What do you think about these?

Again, thank you for your help!

Edited: 28 August 2013, 20:29
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

On Signal Mountain, there are 2 overlooks. Both are a short, easy walk from their parking areas.

The road to Two Ocean is closed for the summer, and I wouldn't do that anyway with bad knees.

There are several turnouts overlooking the Snake, but they're some distance from the river. You could drive down to Deadman's Bar to get close to the river. This is where the float trips put in.

Edited: 28 August 2013, 20:40
Salt Lake City, Utah
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

Signal Mountain sounds like it might be a good choice since there is a road and some easy walks. It looks like most visitor centers in the Park close for the season at the end of September, but the website for the Signal Mountain Lodge says that it is open through 10/13. Since the lodge is still open, how crowded do you think the road & overlooks will be on the first Saturday in October?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scattering cremains in the Grand Teton National Park

Not crowded at all.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...