We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SLC to Jackson at night?

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
SLC to Jackson at night?

Hello,

On July 22nd will be landing in SLC at 5pm and will end up driving to Jackson. I know part of this trip will be in the dark. I've tried to find when sunset is and get anywhere between 9 and 9:30 pm depending on the site.

AAA & Google Maps wants us to take I-15N to ID-34E to US-26E/US-89N.

MapQuest wants us to take I-80E to WY-89 to US-26 N/US-89 N

I read the What routes to take you to Jackson/GTNP from Salt Lake? from the top questions.

Honestly, that left me more confused about which route to take.

I'm looking for the most direct, less easy to get lost route.

Michelle

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,079 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SLC to Jackson at night?

Hate to tell you this but in the west it is not a good idea at all to drive in the dark. Possibility of too much wildlife on the road. This is especially true in and around the national parks.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SLC to Jackson at night?

The route up I-15 would be ok in the dark, but after that point it's rural road - and if it's past dusk - you're asking for trouble, as Peach said. In this part of the world, there's about 40 minutes between sunset and dusk.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SLC to Jackson at night?

As others said you really shouldnt be driving this area at night.

There isnt a straight shot route to Jackson. There are numerous ways and they are all about 5 hrs drive.

I would suggest just doing part of the drive and stay in a hotel in Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Soda springs

also if you are flying from the east...remember your body clock is still on eastern time.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SLC to Jackson at night?

Thanks everyone. Guess we'll be staying in Idaho Falls. On the plus side the hotels are cheaper than Jackson.

Anyone care to suggest a scenic route into Grand Teton from Idaho Falls?

Michelle

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SLC to Jackson at night?

The quickest route to GTNP and Jackson is also scenic. Take 26 from IF, which after some farmland, follows the Snake River and eventually puts you in Swan Valley, at which time you'll take a left onto Hwy 31, over Pine Creek Pass to Victor, ID. At Victor, you turn right onto highway 33- Teton Pass will drop you into Wilson, WY and eventually Jackson. It will take you about 2 hours.

The alternative would be to continue through Swan Valley instead of taking a left onto Hwy 31. Here, you'll continue to follow the Snake River (although it won't be visible). Eventually, the road will wind around the Palisades Reservoir. At the town of Alpine, you'll turn left onto Highway 89 which will take you into Jackson from the South through the Snake River Canyon. This is the spot rafters go for white water fyi. You will reach a roundabout after the Canyon. Signs should direct you N towards Jackson. This is about 30-45 minutes more than the alternative.

Jackson is the gateway to Grand Teton Park, and if you reference a map, you'll see there are 3 methods of getting into the park. I recommend the main highway for the best views. The alternative would be the Moose-Wilson Road and Spring Gulch Road to the Highway. Moose-Wilson is more of a slow drive, especially since a lot of wildlife frequents this area. It should not be used as an option to get into or out of the park if you are under a tight timeframe. Travel is very slow on this windy, sometimes dirt road.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 18:04
6. Re: SLC to Jackson at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...