We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop between Jackson to Rapid City

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stop between Jackson to Rapid City

Hi everyone, we are trying to plan our vacation, and think that we will head to Rapid City, SD from Jackson Hole. We mapped it out and it will take about 8 hours to get to Rapid City. Initially, we had planned going to Cody from Jackson then head to Rapid City, but each leg will be around 6 hours (a total of 12 hours) which seems a bit long.

Is there a nice town to stop and spend the night between Jackson and Rapid City?

Thanks!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop between Jackson to Rapid City

OK, so I guess I am confused about where you are going when. In your previous post I thought you said you were going to Red Lodge after your Yellowstone days and you had Jackson first on your itinerary.

Maybe it would help if you posted your most recent full itinerary for people to take a look at?

Pam

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop between Jackson to Rapid City

If the answer to D0bby's question is that you want to drive from Jackson to Rapid City by the quickest route (not necessarily the most scenic), then I'd go from Jackson through Casper, then Douglas, then get off the interstate and head up to SD. Douglas in around 6 hours from Jackson and has some motels in the area. Once you get off the interstate, though, it's slim pickings. For example, you go through Lusk, which has the smallest population of any county seat in the country, in the county with the smallest population of any county in the country, even though the county is larger than Delaware. (But Lusk does have a very nice saloon, which is also very important.)

Edited: 08 March 2014, 21:09
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop between Jackson to Rapid City

We found 7 consecutive nights in Yellowstone. Although, it is all over the map and I'm still hoping to find openings for lodging closer together or at least two nights in a row in one hotel.

Day 1 Grant Village

Day 2 Mammoth

Day 3 old Faithful

Day 4 mammoth

Day 5-6 old faithful

I was thinking of going to Grand Teton in day 7 then go to Mt. Rushmore. But if availability in Yellowstone open up, I may change it up again. We may just bypass Jackson, and go to Grand Teton on day 1 since we are so close, but I'm not sure if one day is enough. That is why I'm thinking of going there after Yellowstone.

Please keep in mind that my schedule is fluid and we are trying to find the best combination.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop between Jackson to Rapid City

Oops, meant least populated in Wyoming, not the US.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stop between Jackson to Rapid City

Well, if you are flying in to Jackson, here is what I would do based on your first post in which you said you were planning 9-14 days.

Day 1: Fly in to Jackson, overnight Jackson, Grand Tetons

Day 2: Overnight Jackson or Grand Tetons

Day 3: Yellowstone, currently booked at OF

Day 4: Yellowstone, currently booked at Mammoth. I would try to change this to OF

Day 5: Yellowstone, currently booked OF, I would try to change this to Mammoth, Canyon or Lake

Day 6: Yellowstone, currently booked OF, I would try to change this to whatever you were able to get for night 5

Day 7: Exit NE entrance, drive Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway, then Overnight in Cody

Day 8: Head for Black Hills, stop by Devil's Tower, overnight Keystone

Day 9: Overnight Keystone

Day 10: Overnight Keystone

Day 11: Overnight Keystone

Day 12: Fly back home from Rapid City. This would involve a drop off fee for the rental car. If you don' t want to do that, drive back to Jackson on this day, overnight in Jackson and fly home the next day or the day after.

If you have 14 days, I would add a day to Jackson at the beginning.

I don't mind driving at all, but if you are not planning to fly out of Jackson it seems unhandy not to see Jackson when you first land there and continue your forward motion.

Pam

Edited: 08 March 2014, 21:51
6. Re: Where to stop between Jackson to Rapid City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:18