We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schwabacher Landing Road

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Schwabacher Landing Road

Is Schwabacher Landing Road drivable in a 2010 Imapala in July? Or, would it be best to park somewhere nearby and hike down to the landing?

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

Its a dirt/gravel road. If it hasnt rained you should be fine driving it.

the first part is a switchback dirt road that is rutted and all downhill. the flat part is a gravel road. the downhill portion you go very slow in---basically roll down the hill and then apply the brake.

I cant recall off the top of my head where the nearest pull over point is where you could park off the main streeet and walk over to there.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

The road was closed this past summer, so it saw no maintenance. Assuming it's open this summer, I'd expect it to be in pretty bad shape, deeply rutted on the hilly part of the road leaving 89. You could drive it in a sedan, but you'd want to take it real slow and try to avoid the worst parts of the road. Fortunately, the road is downhill only in one direction.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

Unfortunately, it is not scheduled to be opened again this year due to the sequester, according to the nice lady at GTNP I just spoke to. I would like to go but I am a little wary of hiking before sunrise in late May. Am I being too cautious TetonBill?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

Thank you Dan & TetonBill. I'll have to contemplate driving my F150 instead, which would be about $225 more in fuel for my entire trip.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

>I am a little wary of hiking before sunrise in late May. Am I being too cautious TetonBill?

No.

In late May, moose and elk begin to calve. The area around Schwabacher Landing is a favorite calving area for cow moose and elk. The calves draw grizzlies, which are still trying to regain their weight after hibernation. Other than having eaten some winter-kill elk, the grizzlies haven't had much meat in their diet for a long time, so they're real hungry and kinda grumpy. When you combine those circumstances with the limited sight distance in many areas around the Landing, the dim early morning light, and early morning being a prime time for grizzlies to hunt, that area could be a little dangerous about the time you're interesting in hiking there.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 22:14
jackson, miss
Level Contributor
673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

I apologize for not being clear. Schwabachers is again going to be closed this year because of the the sequester. Last year, they Park service removed the sign, chained the road and did not permit wheeled vehicle traffic on the road at all even if you were willing to risk the car. The Park service employee I spoke to today said that it will be closed again this year (absent more money from Congress). Perhaps the service will open the road at some point this summer, but you might want to call first before you incur greater cost. I believe hiking was permitted. This is a subject that I am very interested in because we want to photograph sunrise there and were unable to last summer due to the road closure.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

Thanks TetonBill. That was my analysis as well. I did not know that it was moose central, but I was afraid of the very hungry grizzlies that time of year at that time of day. I would have at least three other people with me this year, but I am still wary

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

Last year, you could park at the top of the road and walk down.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

Having extra people along with you is safer, but not a guarantee of safety. If you encounter a sow with a cubs or a grizzly defending its kill, that bear will charge you - even if you had a platoon of Marines with you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Schwabacher Landing Road

Ok, so it is now a hike to not a drive to landing. Is the dirt/gravel road edged by trees, or a flat grassy area? In my mind, I'm thinking that if it is edged by a flat grassy area it would be somewhat safer to hike than being edged by trees.