We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

We want to view and hike in GTNP.

We need 3 night lodging, and then, off to Yellowstone where we will stay inside the park.

I don't know if we should stay near Jackson or try to stay inside GTNP?

The advantage of staying near Jackson is that we could rent something with a kitchen, but I don't want to waste time driving the same way to the park everyday if the entrance is too far?

Also, we've been strongly warned about bears. Is there a problem with having a cooler in your car to carry lunch each day?

Thanks. Sblazer

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

GTNP property is 4 miles north of Jackson. The main visitors center is 12 miles north of Jackson. So you can be well into the park within a 15 minute drive from town.

There's no problem keeping a cooler in your car, although it's best to lock your car because we've got some pretty smart bears around here :).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

Thank you for responding.

S.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,306 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

We always stay in Jackson when touring the Tetons. We like having all the great restaurants and being able to walk around the square at night. The shootout is fun to watch and there is a rodeo a couple of nights each week during the summer months.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

I take the opposite approach from Peachbelle and stay in the park so that we are right there for early morning and early evening. I figure I can always drive to Jackson for dinner. But either way (stay in Jackson or stay in the park) will work.

jackson, miss
Level Contributor
657 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

We also always stay in the park at Signal Mountain Lodge or Jackson Lake Lodge. We are animal watchers and photographers so we like being in the park for sunrise and sunset. It really depends on what you are looking for. Shopping, night life or food, then stay in Jackson. If you want to be out at sunrise and sunset, then stay in the park

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

Thanks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

Thanks for the info.

8. Re: stay around Jackson or in GTNP 3nts.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 04:16