We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

headwaters cabins

long island
Level Contributor
483 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
headwaters cabins

How are these cabins to stay in .Where are they located? Food in the area? Looking to stay in early September.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,249 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: headwaters cabins

This is the lodging complex that used to be known as Flagg Ranch. In my opinion it is not convenient for touring either Yellowstone or Grand Tetons. It is a few miles south of the South gate to Yellowstone. Here is the map link for the official Yellowstone map. Scroll down to the South gate and you will see it. There is nothing located nearby so you are pretty much stuck with whatever restaurant opportunities they have.

nps.gov/common/…

When you calculate time in Yellowstone, we usually recommend you double the miles for time, so 22 miles = ~45 minutes with no stops.

If your goal is to tour Yellowstone I recommend you stay in Yellowstone (I don't like Grant Village either altho others do) or if you want to see the highlights of Grand Tetons, stay further to the south.

Pam

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: headwaters cabins

We stayed there four nights last July in our RV, that part of it. We have been coming to Grand Teton and Yellowstone for over 25 years and are familiar with the area. We chose to stay at Flagg Ranch because we were inbetween parks, etc.

Our camp spot was good however I must say if I were traveling new to the area etc I would not stay there. It looks better on paper in my opinion than it actually is....which is sort of in the middle of no where.

Its not horrid and I have not stayed in the cabins but when you walk into the Main Lodge I will only say I was not impressed with the lack of up keep and some little things that said they aren't really proud of their establishment.

My opinion and only ny opinion is your money would be better spent at a different location. We chose to stay there too because of the senior discount we got, the RV spots are not worth the 60. plus a night they are charging. Again only my opinion.

I would look at and consider Colter Bay Village....we love that area you cannot beat it and have been impressed with lodging etc and great food places to eat. Make sure and double check you dates in Sept as some things start to close for the season then.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 01:18
long island
Level Contributor
483 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: headwaters cabins

Thank you for the info. We have reservations in Canyon Area and was looking for something in Tetons. We have stayed in the Jackson Lake cabins and in the Jackson Lake Lodge cabins. Both were very good.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
955 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: headwaters cabins

I love that area. Polecat Creek is one of the best places to see Otters ANYWHERE. Love the hot springs you can soak in without adding river water, some of my favorites in the world. Love Grassy Lake Road, great fishing, exquisite places to see moose and more. If you're a hiker Huckleberry Mt. is VERY rewarding. Glade Creek is one of the best wildlife hikes ANYWHERE.

Sequester closed the free sites on Grassy Lake road. If they're open not only are [were at least] free but IMO much better than the sometimes crowded campground. Nice outhouses, garbage cans, picnic tables, bear boxes...

If you're physically active its a wonderful place to hike, some great lakes off Grassy Lake Road, and some of the best wildlife observation opportunities you will ever find in and out of the rolling can..

5. Re: headwaters cabins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 July 2016, 22:12
6. Re: headwaters cabins

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 18:42
7. Re: headwaters cabins

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...