We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnic area info for GTNP

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Picnic area info for GTNP

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can find more detailed info about the different picnic areas in Grand Teton? Something similar to this info available for Yellowstone: www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/picnic.htm

I haven't been able to find anything that specific on Grand Teton's site...and Google is failing me.

More specifically, I'm wondering which might be best during a bike ride from Jackson to Signal Mountain and back. I'd noted that the Lakeview area was particularly nice, but that one is (I think?) another 20-ish miles north of Signal Mountain, so I don't think I want to tack on quite that much to my route.

As always, thanks for the information and recommendations.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnic area info for GTNP

I don't think GTNP has a link like the one for Yellowstone due to its smaller size, but String Lake has picnic tables, and that would be a good place to stop. I've attended large family events there, and its quite accommodating.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 22:48
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnic area info for GTNP

This map shows about 7 picnic areas in Grand Teton Park

nationalparked.com/US/…grandtet_drive_01L.jpg

Deb

Edited: 06 April 2014, 22:50
Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnic area info for GTNP

Cool. I'll have to explore that website further. For the OP, the one I referenced can be found at the purple lined road, called Leigh and String Lake Trailhead.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
541 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnic area info for GTNP

String/Leigh is a great suggestion. I don't think you're allowed to go against traffic on the one way road but have seen several do it. Another option might be The Grand Teton Climbers Ranch. Gravel road there though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picnic area info for GTNP

Oh, that looks perfect - I can swing in there on my way back south to be going with the traffic. Thanks much!

6. Re: Picnic area info for GTNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:15