We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

NC
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

I'm seeking advice on a quick trip to Grand Teton NP and wonder how much we can cover in our short time there.

We plan to drive to Jackson, WY, from Gardiner, MT, and stay one night in Jackson and see as much of GTNP as possible. Google and MapQuest maps say it will take around 4 hours to reach Jackson from Gardiner. Because of the great reviews, we're considering staying at the Motel 6 in Jackson (I think about a 30-minute drive from GTNP).

We plan to spend the afternoon and stay as late as we can in GTNP the afternoon of that drive.

We'd love to drive the 42-mile scenic loop and also see Jenny Lake. Is this feasible in one afternoon/evening? How long should we expect this scenic loop drive to take, including stops and maybe some short hikes? Is it possible to cover this in an afternoon/evening?

After seeing what we can that afternoon/evening, we'll spend one night in Jackson. Do we need to worry about night driving there as we make our way back to Jackson? The next morning, we'll need to head out to Cheyenne, WY, for an overnight stop and begin making our way back home to NC.

Is it worth it to possibly stop by GTNP again before heading out on our 7-hourish drive to Cheyenne the next morning?

We really wish we had more time to devote to a Grand Teton visit, but we're covering a great deal in our 3-week roadtrip and must head back to NC from Jackson. We plan to visit Badlands NP and Custer SP in SD, and Glacier NP and Yellowstone NP during our trip. We'll be traveling with our adventurous 11-year old.

Thank you very much for any advice and suggestions you can offer.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

I've stayed at motel 6--- it's fine for a place to sleep and shower but it isn't close. To the walking area of Jackson.

Afternoon is fine to explore the park..but before you leave on the next morning you need to go back into the park for early morning sunlight t get good mountain pictures from schwahbacher landing and ox bow bend..

From oxbow bend you can drive back to Cheyenne through Dubois then to Casper, then to Cheyenne ( there is another route to lLander, to Rawlins to Laramie, and Cheyenne)

You don't want to drive at night in grand Teton because of wildlife.

As for your drive....I would have suggested you stay elsewhere or resorted your stay plans in Yellowstone to prevent that situation of driving from north end to the south end. It will take 4 hrs at least.

How many days in Yellowstone...I suugest you shift the Gardiner stay to Jackson then do 2 nights and one full day in the park.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,429 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

Yes you can do it in an afternoon.

From Yellowstone you can stop at-

Oxbow Bend

Jenny Lake

Snake River overlooks

Drive the Moose Wilson Rd. to Teton Village

Teton Village to hotel

You will not go thru the town of Jackson but should go back that night and enjoy the shootout on the square and walk around and take photos, etc.

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

Whats is this 42 mile scenic HW?

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

if you look at a map of the Grand Tetons you will see a circular route from Jackson Lake Junction to Moose Junction via Teton Park Road then up again via Route 191/89 back to Jackson Lake.

This is the 42 mile Scenic Highway.

NC
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

Thanks so much, DanP and PeachBelle8288, for writing with your ideas and suggestions.

We know it isn't the easiest to drive from the northern part of Yellowstone to GTNP for our Jackson, WY, 1-night stay, but after so many check-ins and moving around on our 3-week road trip, we wanted to settle in and have one base in Yellowstone. We know we're in for lots of driving! Our trip will also include visits to the Badlands NP and Custer SP in SD, and Glacier National Park in MT.

Thanks so much for letting us know it is workable to visit Grand Teton NP in an afternoon. I know the park will be majestic and we could spend much more time there, but we will only have that one afternoon. We may be able to visit again the following morning before heading to Cheyenne.

Thanks for your outline, PeachBelle, and thanks for your route from Oxbow Bend, Dan P. I appreciate all your help!

NC
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

Thanks for writing, Dan P and PeachBelle8288.

We know it isn't the most ideal to drive from the northern portion of Yellowstone to Jackson and Grand Teton, but after so many check-ins and check-outs during our 3-week roadtrip, we wanted just one homebase while we visit Yellowstone. Our trip will also include visits to Badlands NP and Custer SP in SD, and Glacier NP in MT.

We know Grand Teton NP will be majestic and we could easily and happily spend more time there, but for this trip we'll only have one afternoon and one night to stay in Jackson. We may be able to visit the park again the next morning before heading to Cheyenne.

Thanks for your outline, PeachBelle, and thanks DanP for your route from Oxbow Bend. I appreciate all you help!

Edited: 01 May 2014, 13:20
NC
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

Sorry for the almost duplicate post. My first response didn't post at all, so I rewrote it. Then of course they both posted later! :-)

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

Dup posting isn't bad , what is, is when you spend a good amount of time on a reply and lose it when you hit a wrong key....just as you were ready to post your reply....

NC
Level Contributor
209 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

I know it, joeman#1! :-) It was a pain rewriting, but no big deal and worth it for all the great advice and help!

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking advice on quick visit to GTNP, Scenic Loop, etc.

Definitely stop for a last look at the Tetons in the morning...Magnificent.

Stop for breakfast at the Signal Mountain Lodge with a spectacular view of the Tetons from your table while having breakfast..

great way to wrap it up.....One more last look.....

Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...