We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

metro DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

Question for Tripadvisor-ites: Any tips to help us pick between Jackson Hole and Jackson Lake for a two-day stay as part of a summer roadtrip?

We have a reservation at Jackson Lake Lodge, but I can't really tell what, if any, difference there is between Jackson Lake and Jackson Hole. I'm not sure we'll head up to Yellowstone 'cause I'm envisioning bumper-to-bumper traffic, so proximity to Yellowstone isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance for any tips to help us plan our trip!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

Jackson Lake is the name of a lake in Grand Teton Park, which is in Jackson Hole, the 40 mile long valley that encompasses the National Park, and several towns. One of the towns is called Jackson, adding to the confusion.

BTW, unless there is a wildlife jam, accident or roadwork, the traffic you will experience is not going to be bumper to bumper like leaving New York Ave in DC on a Friday afternoon, so I'm not sure traffic should be a reason to deter any visits to Yellowstone FYI.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,076 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

We saw more traffic in Jackson WY than in Yellowstone NP and we visited in late July/early August during a very busy week!! I can't imagine being that close to Yellowstone and not visiting. I liked the Jackson Lake Lodge location, what kind of room did you book?

davenport, iowa
Level Contributor
189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

Are you possibly talking about Teton Village where Jackson Hole ski area is located? We are renting a condo there in July. We got a great deal for a week and love the location. Jackson Lake is a great location too, a short distance to anything inside the park. Either way you go I'm sure you will love it!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,846 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

Travelingal736, I'd love to know where you're staying in Teton Village. We're planning a summer 2015 trip that includes GTNP and are considering staying in Teton Village or in the park itself.

davenport, iowa
Level Contributor
189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

Deb I will send you a PM.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

Condo rentals in the Aspens can be quite a bit cheaper than in the Village.

The town of Jackson can have horrible traffic at certain hours in the summer, but if you have the sense to not be on the road when everyone else is then you will not waste your time in traffic.

Jackson Lake Lodge is wonderful. Arguably the greatest wildlife viewing in North America [yes, even including the Lamar, AK, etc.] is in norther GTNP which the Travel channel rated number one on the continent a few years back.

If you require numerous civilized amenities I'd think about staying on the southern end of Teton County instead.

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

In late July what time of day is the traffic really bad in Jackson?

8. Re: Jackson Hole vs. Jackson Lake in summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:16