We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

2 posts
Save Topic
Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

We want to visit GT park and surrounding area for about 4-5 days next month. Both husband and I have a fear of heights (windy mountain roads, drop-offs etc). Is the drive from the airport in Jackson to Jackson proper and to GTNP relatively flat or are these roads going to be challenging for us?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,804 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

Fairly flat with minimal winding areas and I can't think of a drop off, you should have no issues. The airport, Jackson and most of Teton NP are in a huge valley at the base of the mountains.

The only drop offs I remember inside Teton NP were near Signal Mtn Lodge

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

Thanks for responding. This is great news. Which vendor would you recommend for a river float based on our issues with driving potentially mountainous road?

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

All float trips depart from the same location in GTNP. We liked Barker- Ewing, which we reserved from the Dornan's store in the park, though they have a location in town also. The in park lodges also have trips. We are from Florida, and used to "flat". GTNP is very flat with absolutely no scary roads in my opinion. The drive to the top of signal mountain might be the most curvy if I recall.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

teton is a park is in the valley so its flat..take the tram to the top at jackson hole if you want a mountain view without the scary drive...scary drives get you the best views but if its out of your element then so be it but give it a try

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

You might like to take a virtual "drive" from the airport in StreetView. To pan or tilt the camera, drag with the mouse. To move along a road either click with the mouse, or use the cursor keys, or drag the yellow man icon on the map. Apologies if all that's obvious.

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/6uot9O

At the main road, you can turn right (south) for Jackson, or left (north) towards the main area of the park.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

Jackson Hole airport to Jackson takes less than 30 minutes and is a flat road.

Jackson is a lovely little town. Not knowing your interests, but when we were in Jackson last we had a fun night at the Jackson Hole Playhouse where the production was "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers", this year it's "Paint Your Wagon" http://www.jacksonplayhouse.com/

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Jackson and GT roads for fear of heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:16