We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson Lake Adventure

midwest
Level Contributor
659 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson Lake Adventure

Hi TA'ers! Staying at Signal Mountain Lodge July 14 & 15 and had a notion (weather permitting) to get out on Jackson Lake for a day. I realize it's a big lake and there are options for motorized (ie get you further/farther/easier) versus non-motorized rentals at SML marina. Will also heed the afternoon wind whipping up warnings. That all said - does anybody have suggestions for places to putz around, have a picnic, etc. Would you get out on Donoho Point, Elk Island and/or Grassy Island to explore? I'm sure the folks at SML will advise, but I wanted to see if anyone here had helpful suggestions.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson Lake Adventure

I went to a barbecue on Elk Island many years ago, and it was a pretty nice place. There's a campsite there. And the tour boats stop there for dinner. Can't speak about the other islands. As you said, the SML folks would be the best to ask.

midwest
Level Contributor
659 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson Lake Adventure

Thanks for the reply Bill. I've really enjoyed your posts.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson Lake Adventure

Thanks.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson Lake Adventure

You could head over to Spalding Bay. They have two (auto accessible) back country sites there but there is a picnic area and a bathroom. The beach is rocky but not unrealistic to set up.

I'd also explore Bear Paw bay a bit. You can tie off there but a "picnic" wouldn't be realistic. But Its very pretty.

The little peninsula in front (SE) of Little Grassy Island seems to be a good beach for a picnic if I recall but that may have been a low water year.

I know you aren't interested in backcountry camping, but here is a link to sites on Jackson Lake which shows that area I'm speaking about on page two. I would stick south of Elk Island unless you have a pretty powerful motor, its a nice day and the lake hasn't reduced in volumne making it to shallow in some areas (probably won't be an issue this year in two weeks).

nps.gov/grte/…backcountry-2.pdf

Edited: 07 July 2014, 02:05
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
612 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson Lake Adventure

Remembering those islands and having gotten Mosquitoe reports in from across the region now I'll simply say I hope you have a good head net and DEET.

6. Re: Jackson Lake Adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:16