We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roaring fork trail

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Roaring fork trail

so we're definately going to do the roaring fork trail this weekend. is there anyplace along here that has some picnic tables? we'd like to picnic, and i think chimney tops would be too tough to navigate with a 17 month old and 2 pregnant women, and cades cove just gets so busy... so we'd like to have a packed lunch along the roaring fork trail someplace... thanks!

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roaring fork trail

When you are driving there from Gatlinburg, there is a park on the right before you get to Roaring Fork, but I don't think there are any picnic tables along the way as I remember. Since you are pregnant, and I was 3 times, I think I remember some port-o-lets about mid-point on the drive, if you want real bathroom, go before you go. There are several pull offs along the trail, if you have room to eat in the car or just want to get out and eat off your car hood.

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Roaring fork trail

There are some really nice homesteads. Look for a bridge with a pull off small parking area just before a bridge. There is a homestead on the other side of the bridge along a large rushing creek with rapids. Would be a great place to put a blanket out for a picnic. But maybe not with the 17 mo old next to the water. This homestead (I can't remember the name off the top of my head) does have a large grassy area and you could picnic away from the water. Anyway, there are nice places along the way to have a picnic on a blanket. Many of these places have limited parking however.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roaring fork trail

Ya know Irish...you are asking so many questions today, that I think you need your own personal guide for the trip. hmmmmm wonder who you could get! LOL

I think I read somewhere that the port a lets are gone now.

We love Mynatt park that wellsms mentioned. We usually stop there for the potty break and/or lunch.

We have picniced right where you have melonbob - so pretty.

See - you need to take one of us with you :)

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roaring fork trail

lol SG... ok, i tell you what. you find yoruself somethign to ride in that we can attach to our tailer hitch and we'll tow you all the way there. meet us on the brent-spence at about 7 am on friday!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roaring fork trail

LOL ...okay...I'll calm down now. :)

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roaring fork trail

lol... you're going again this fall aren't you?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roaring fork trail

Yes! I plan on going to the picnic on the TA 27th of October. I told Betty that she's coming - even if I have to drive all the way to Alabama to get her!

I am almost certain that I'm going in July for a few days with my mom. My boys will be camping nearby at Cherokee Lake - so I used it as an excuse to visit on parent day!

8. Re: Roaring fork trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...