We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to visit

Hi all!

We are looking to go to the Smokies for a weekend. We are trying to decide when to go. When is the best time for foilage? I have heard it gets really crowded in Oct.

Or is it really pretty in Nov & Dec with the Christmas Decorations?

We have a free 2-nt stay so just trying to figure out when to redeem it.

THANKS!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit

sportychic: I personally prefer to go during the Fall to see the foliage rather than in the early Winter to see the Christmas decorations. For good foliage, I would recommend late October or early November. I know that time of year is typically very busy, but there are some places within the park where you can feel pretty isolated. There are some excellent trails in the Cosby and Elkmont areas that are not typically visited that would be great Fall hikes. If you want any specific information, I can help you out, so just let me know.

Sean

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit

I agree that late Oct is the best time to go. Remember the whole park is on display in the fall, not just the strips of PF and Gatlinburg with Xmas lights. I think the lights actually stay on in PF thru February. Since it is free, I would book it in the busy season and come back and see lights right after Xmas when rooms are dirt cheap. If you decide to go in the fall, I would be booking any reservations right now.

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit

I would say for a date for prime leaf season would be around October 20th. It varies every year. I saw the most beautiful leaf season I have ever seen last November . It was the first week in November. It was in the mountains of northeast Georgia. Rival anything I saw in New England or here in Michigan.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit

We caught the peak when we went last year on October 22nd. It was breathtaking.

5. Re: Best time to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 08:20
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...