We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in park without shelter

michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
camping in park without shelter

my friend and i are heading to the park in the spring for a 4 day trek through the entire park. however, the last night we are at a point where there is no nearby shelter- either reserved or unreserved. has anyone ever heard of people going off the trail and setting up a campsite?? i know it is against park rules and we could get a citation- but do people do it anyway? we won't be having a fire- we are taking mre's for food and don't need one. any suggestions or advice?? or does anyone know of a shelter close to either chimney tops or alum cave (minus le conte lodge). thanks

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in park without shelter

There is a shelter on the Boulevard Trail, close to the LeConte Lodge.

The only other shelter somewhat close to Alum would be on the Appalachian Trail, near the Boulevard trail/AT junction.

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in park without shelter

The only other shelter is Icewater Springs. It is about 100 yds off of the AT after climbing from NewFound Gap. You must pass the Boulevard and continue toward Charlie's Bunyon.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: camping in park without shelter

hmmm....good question...I'm sure it has been done and I would think the chances of getting caught would be very slim if you set it up late (esp after dark) and broke camp pretty early.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: camping in park without shelter

I respect those who crave that wilderness experience with no tents or shelter. With that being said, the back country in GSMNP is used heavily, some might even argue abused and there are reasons for the Park rules.

We are heading out this weekend for a 3 day trip to LeConte and staying in the shelters. The shelters only sleep so many people so if you show up and late it is full, you are out of luck. Show up early and it fills up, you annoy folks.

Please try to change your itenerary (sp) so you can stay in the appropriate shelter or designated back county camp site to keep all happy.

5. Re: camping in park without shelter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 16:20