We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

St.Louis
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

Can anyone tell me what company has the safest most experienced hot air balloon rides over the Smokey Mountains? What ia the best time to take a balloon ride?

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
827 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

I didn't know you could do this. I would like to find some info on it too. That seems like something my husband and I would like to do.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

Have you done a Google search? I gave it a good jumble and some good sites came out, even a directory or two:

http://tinyurl.com/327meb

Sorry, though, I have no personal experience with hot air ballooning in the Smokies. Good luck! It's not an activity you hear of often, so def report back and tell us how it was.

Kristian

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,084 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

I'm not aware of any companies that do hot-air balloon rides in the area.

I would guess that since the commercial hellicopters can't fly over the park directly, neither could comercial hot air balloons, even if there were companies that did them.

Besides, it's usually too windy to fly them in the higher elevations. Anywhere above 3000ft, you get really strong winds in the mountains, not to mention the frequent thunderstorms with lots of lightening.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

My sister did this with a company out of Asheville I believe and it was quite a ride. I am sorry I do not have the info to pass along beyond the fact that people do book balloon flights over the Smokies.

St.Louis
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

I am looking for anything around Knoxville.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

An acquaintance of mine (Steve Davis) owns Smoky Mountain Ballooning Center (865-254-4687), and my dh and I flew with him once. Steve holds world records, has been all over TV, several reality shows, etc. I actually saw him on TV doing a ballooning stunt for that Richard Branson reality show a few years back. Obviously, he has a great reputation in the business. Extremely knowledgeable and I never felt unsafe, plus, he's just a fun person, which is good since you'll be in the basket with him all during the ride!

On our ride, we didn't go over to the mountains, but we didn't ask to since we live in Knoxville. I'm not sure where all he flies exactly, but I'm sure he'd be happy to work with you for what you'd want. Everything about that evening was sensational... from helping to inflate the balloon, lifting off and waving to a crowd of curious onlookers, somehow being at peace with leaning only on a basket while suspended thousands of feet in the air, being stunned into silence by the beauty all around us, watching the sun play off the clouds and reflect off the mountains, scaring cows as we landed (hilarious!), and enjoying a champagne toast as the sun went down. I wouldn't trade memories of that night for ANYTHING!!

Another guy opened another ballooning company under a name that is nearly identical, so be careful if you google because they're totally different businesses.

St.Louis
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

Thank you for the info. I will check him out. He sounds like the right person to go up with.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

This sounds awesome. I never thought of a hot air balloon ride while at the Smokies. Definnetly something that I would love to check out and convince dh that it's a must. ;-) Thanks so much for the idea and the info.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

Well I did some research on line. Found this website www.smokymtnballoons.com $229.00 per person. Think I will hold off and wait for a different trip than the upcoming on. Thought I would post this info. in case anyone else was interested and richer than me. =)

10. Re: Fall hot air balloon rides over the smokey mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 19:19