We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip this weekend

virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
trip this weekend

We plan to drive 7-8 hours from Virginia to Great Smoky Mountains national park. I just checked weather.com and found out it would probably snow on Saturday. I booked a hotel for one night in Gatlinburg on Saturday and one night in Cherokee on Sunday. Will the road be closed if it snows? Shall I cancel my trip? Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Cherokee
Cherokee
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip this weekend

If 441 is closed you can still go around by taking Hwy 40.

There is still a lot to see if 441 is closed.

That is assuming the roads from VA to Gatlinburg are not to bad.

I have found with wether lately the TV has been so bad. We have had snow predictions many times and not got any or very little but you never know in the mountains!

I would wait until tomorrow or Fri. and see what they are saying as long as you can cancel hotel Sat.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,416 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip this weekend

Our local forecasters are saying snow on Saturday as well, especially in the mountains, so I would guess the Smokies are going to get some.

If it does snow, Hwy 441 from Gatlinburg to Cherokee will likely close at least for the day on Saturday. Interstate 40 is a very long way around too.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Cherokee
Cherokee
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: trip this weekend

eight ball says...rain likely and little or snow accumulation. They, the NPS, will wait for the snow to stop if it falls before clearing the road. Come to the mountains and enjoy them regardless of the weather.

virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip this weekend

Thanks!

5. Re: trip this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...