We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cades Coves/Abrams Falls: Will this work?

Detroit
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cades Coves/Abrams Falls: Will this work?

Ok, getting excited :)

My husband and I will be getting into the area tomorrow , early afternoon. We are staying in Wears Valley. If we could make it into Cades Cove my midafternoon, would we have time to do:

A bike around the loop?

The hike to Abrams Falls?

Any ideas on how long both of these activities might take?

Thanks!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cades Coves/Abrams Falls: Will this work?

Don't know about the time needed for the bike ride. It's 11 miles with at least 2 or 3 short stretches where you'll need to walk your bikes.

Since you're asking about the bike ride, I'll assume you're in reasonably good physical condition and are fairly active. IF THAT'S TRUE, then the Abrams Falls hike should be easily doable in three hours plus whatever time you spend at the falls - probably at least a half hour. Keep track of your time going out and allow for a little more time coming back.

Whichever one you do, keep in mind that driving the loop road near dusk should give you better chances of seeing deer in the fields.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cades Coves/Abrams Falls: Will this work?

My quickest biking the loop is just under 45 minutes on my Specialized Mountain Bike.. I stopped for nothing or no one, road on the shoulders and so forth.

So, you could do both in a day if you hustle.

I would suggest slowing down and just hike up to Gregory Bald and take it all in at leisurely pace...

have fun.

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
459 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cades Coves/Abrams Falls: Will this work?

I always say I'm going to ride the loop, but I never have. I've walked a portion of it so I have no idea as to what time that would take. I've walked Abrams Fall and the first part is pretty easy, but the last part there are lots of rocks and roots that make the going a little slow, but still not that difficult. I'd say it took us at least three hours and when you get to the end, of course you would want to spend some time just enjoying the view. If you get there mid afternoon, I'd think you would only have time for one of those activities. You wouldn't want to be coming out of Abrams Fall at night - might trip.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,416 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cades Coves/Abrams Falls: Will this work?

I DO NOT recommend you try doing both a bike ride around the cove AND a hike to Abrams Falls on the same day, unless you are in very very good physical shape.

The bike ride, depending on your speed, can take 2 to 3 hours, and the hike can also take 3 or more hours.

However, while you may have time to do both, you may not have the stamina to do both. The hike is fairly streneuous.

5. Re: Cades Coves/Abrams Falls: Will this work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...