We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basalm Mtn - Does it fill up?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Basalm Mtn - Does it fill up?

I'm willing to make the trek to Basalm Mountain Campground with such rave reviews, but what are the odds it'll be filled up if we arrive in the evening -as late as 7 or 8pm on Friday May 16th?

If it's risky it's just not worth it, but I'm hoping it's still a little early to be busy. We're just tent camping so any spot will do, and we'll be staying 2 nights.

Also

-Is it windy there, or fairly sheltered? I figure it's probably a bit nippy up there with higher elevation than the other campgrounds.

-Which is faster coming from Nashville, looping around and taking 19 back in, or thru the park?

-And lastly- is the campround and roads nearby OK w/ just a 2wd sedan?

Thanks very much!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basalm Mtn - Does it fill up?

That early in the year, I'd hazard a guess that it wouldn't fill up that quickly. But if you can shave an hour or two off your travel time, that would help.

Windy...? I'd call it breezy; but most campsites are down in some trees; some are down below road level. Yes, it will be nippy!

There's no easy way to drive there; probably I-40 into NC to US 19, then south to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Soco Gap would be quickest for you.

Your car will be fine, even on Balsam Mtn Road leading one way out to Cherokee; it's a dirt road, a little bumpy in places, but altogether not too bad.

Enjoy!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Basalm Mtn - Does it fill up?

You should be fine..with that said...it could be full but there is still a lot of daylight at 7 PM so driving to another campground like in Cataloochee or SMokemont would be a good bail out option.

Last night it was a 30 degrees at my home here in Dillsboro/Sylva and we are at 2,300 feet. For every 1,000 feet you climb subtract about 3 degrees F. It was easily in the 20s there this morning. However, come mid may it should be in 40s to low 50s at night there, but you never know.

You could get off on exit 24 I think it is, US 276 head into Maggie Valley and pick up 19 head south to Socco Gap, then south again on the BRP to the Balsam mountain road.

It is a wooded campground and maybe by mid May the leaves will be on the hardwoods. They are not now.

Enjoy the trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basalm Mtn - Does it fill up?

I thought of answers to your questions, scrolled down, and read them all. ;) Ditto all the above. Heintooga is a nice drive. I was there at peak season in October and there were several lots open; I remember one group in particular coming in after dark.

4. Re: Basalm Mtn - Does it fill up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...