We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hsitory of the Blue Ridge Parkway

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hsitory of the Blue Ridge Parkway

Hey yall, there is a very nice magazine called WNC Magazine and this month they feature the Blue Ridge Parkway and its history. It is fascinating on how the route got picked and the poltics to keep the parkway in North Carolina and not ending of all places in TN (lol). One politician from 1933 stated having the parkway go from Shenandoah to the Smokies is like experiencing heaven and having it end or even go through TN is like opening the gates of heaven and then being sent back to purgatory....

The article is fascinating from a planning and engineering level to the historical. The one thing that stood out for me was this...the Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the few National Parks created around a road and get this....it is the most visited unit in the entire national park system ... even more than Smokies at over 20 million visitors.

Anyway, I do not have a link to WNC magazine and I will find one and post it. The story is told well and the pictures and so forth are fascinating. If you are anywhere in WNC this month, pick up the magazaine, it is a good read.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hsitory of the Blue Ridge Parkway

That sounds really cool; I'd love to read that. I don't know much about the parkway, so it'd be a good way to get me enlightened of wonderful facts like the ones you mentioned. :)

Just did a Google- Was it, "King of Roads?" If so, here's the link: http://www.wncmagazine.com/feature1.html

*Reads article*

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hsitory of the Blue Ridge Parkway

I just got 3 new books on the Blue Ridge!

I probably read it before but this week when I read the Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the few National Parks created around a road and it is the most visited unit in the entire national park system even more than Smokies at over 20 million visitors,I to was amazed!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hsitory of the Blue Ridge Parkway

That is the link Blue. Thanks for doing my homework for me :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hsitory of the Blue Ridge Parkway

Finished the article; I enjoyed it. I don't know about that business about North Carolina being prettier than Tennessee, but I guess we'll let it slip since it's in a NC newspaper. :)

5. Re: Hsitory of the Blue Ridge Parkway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...