We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosby campground?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Topic
Cosby campground?

Hi! We have just decided to spend the second weekend in July camping in the Smokies. It's way too late to reserve one of the waterfront campsites in Elkmont (which are my personal favorite!) and are considering trying to get a spot at the Cosby campground. I've never been there before and was wondering if anybody had any opinions on it. Is it as nice and scenic as Elkmont? We'll do some hiking and my boyfriend will be doing some fishing at Greenbriar. Because it will only be for a quick weekend, we aren't planning to go into Gatlinburg or through there to get to Cades Cove or anything like that. So proximity to town or the usual tourist spots is not a big deal. Also, I know summer is a busy time in the area and was wondering if it's reasonable to think we'd be able to snag an unreserved site there if we arrived early in the afternoon on that Friday. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions!

1. Re: Cosby campground?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2008, 13:04
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosby campground?

RBG, the Cosby Campground doesn't have a camp store does it? I know Cades Cove does, and the ice cream is great there, but I don't see a camp store in the Cosby info. It has been many years since I have been there though. There is mention of convenience stores nearby in the town of Cosby, but not in the campground.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cosby campground?

I was thinking Cades Cove! I am sorry!

Cosby is not like Cades Cove at all! Cosby is a nice quiet wilderness place!

Thank you!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cosby campground?

Thank you Smokiesgrl! ( I think I need some sleep!)

Cosby I went to Easter weekend last year. No one and I do mean zero people were there. It has a nice road going to it. I saw lots of turkeys.

Call and ask if it fills up in the summer.

nps.gov/grsm/…frontcountry-camping.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cosby campground?

Cosby is a really nice campground (in fact, I've returned four times) and is quite uncrowded, even in the summer and fall. Hikes include Mt. Cammerer, Hen Wallow Falls, and Albright Grove in the Cosby area, Ramsey Cascades, Mt. Sterling, and Porter's Creek in the surrounding areas, and Boogerman, Rainbow Falls, and Grotto Falls as hikes further away. All of them are top notch. I def recommend.

Kristian

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
624 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cosby campground?

Cosby is very quiet. No campground stores, and not really much of anything in the city. There is an apple place I like to visit in Cosby- Carver's I think is the family that own's it and they have a restaurant. I only remember a couple of trails near the campground and we did the hike to a waterfall. Further up the road is the Foothill's Parkway.

7. Re: Cosby campground?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 13:16