We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

porters creek trail

ky.boy
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Topic
porters creek trail

We are coming down in july and are hiking the porters creek trail, from what i can gather we turn off 321 onto greenbrier road, ive been told there is a ranger station on this road that you have to check in with, just wondering if this is so and if there is some sort of fee at this entrance to the park? thx ahead of time

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: porters creek trail

There is a ranger station, but dayhiking doesn't require a check-in. Backpacking to the campsite at the end of Porters Creek does require self-registration. There are no entrance fees to the Smokies, period.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: porters creek trail

Yep, smokies hiker has it right on! Don't worry, if you're just day hiking all you need to do is park and hike. No fees nor registration is required.

BTW: I'm sure you've read about the old hiking club cabin and the John Messer barn just off the trail. Be sure to go there! It is very neat & you can walk through the cabin!

Sean

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: porters creek trail

Porters Creek trail is a great easy hike. So many things to stop and see along the way. If you climb up into the loft of the hiking cabin, you will see one of their old SMHC (Smoky Mountain Hiking Club) signs.

Do you have the book "Scavenger Hike Adventures?" The first time we hiked Porter's Creek we did the scavenger hike for it. I think that is why we enjoyed this short hike so much. There were several things located just off trail (old model T, cemetery, etc.) that we would have probably never even noticed had it not been for that book.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: porters creek trail

Also junktruck, if I remember correctly you enjoy log footbridge creek crossings. There is a really nice long one after you pass the historic farm site, just before you get to the waterfall.

5. Re: porters creek trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 12:20
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...