We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Gatinbrg-stay one night near Bryson, Dillsboro,,??

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
After Gatinbrg-stay one night near Bryson, Dillsboro,,??

After staying in Gatinburg i would like to stay one night around Bryson City area and have also seen a nice hotel in Dillsboro. Is Dillsboro worth the little extra drive to have a good accommodation that would work for us?

I didnt come across many in Bryson City that would be good for us as we would need a pool for the kids. Can anyone recommend any places. Have also looked into Maggie Valley but none of the hotels would work for us. While there i would like to visit Cherokee and maybe possibly white water rafting.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Gatinbrg-stay one night near Bryson, Dillsboro,,??

If you stay in Dillsboro, be sure and eat at the Jarrett House. EXCELLENT country cooking. It is a B&B, too:

http://www.jarretthouse.com/

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: After Gatinbrg-stay one night near Bryson, Dillsboro,,??

There is a Best Western on the Tuckaseegee River in Dillsboro with a pool. I am not sure if the Holiday Inn Express has a pool or not, I have stayed there but we were moving here and I did not pay attention to the amenities.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Gatinbrg-stay one night near Bryson, Dillsboro,,??

Yes that is the hotel I was looking at the Best Western. Is it worth the little extra drive to stay there or could i find the same things a little closer in Cherokee or Maggie Valley?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After Gatinbrg-stay one night near Bryson, Dillsboro,,??

Ginger,

Unless your kids are small, I personally do not think Dillsboro is worth the drive. Cherokee and Bryson City are closer, more scenic, and still border the National Park.

Cherokee is kind of cheesy, but cool for little ones, and there are a couple places worth visiting to learn the history of the Cherokee. It is also scenic.

You would go through Cherokee on the way to Bryson City out of Oconaluftee.

Bryson City is so, so cute. Out favorite place to stay if we go in Summer b/c of the quiet, and proximity to river activities. There are cute little antique & craftsmen shops, and the Deep Creek Hiking Trailhead. This is one of our favorite trails because it is scenic, very easy, short, and has three waterfalls. We have always rented a cabin, so I cannot speak for hotels, but a few are older, more like Mom& Pop nostalgic type things.

The Hemlock Inn is between Cherokee and BC, and is really lovely. It has incredible views, big porches, and old fashioned big country lazy Susan tables in the dining room.

If you are there just one day, and go tubing at Deep Creek (five star activity!), you may not even need a pool.

As for white water rafting, if your kids are small, (under 60#) I think the only outfit that will allow them to raft IS located in Dillsboro, along the Tuckaseegee. It is fun and gentle.

Otherwise, the Nantahala is our raft trip of choice. Bryson City makes a good location for those.

As for Maggie Valley, you turn East out of Cherokee (instead of West toward Bryson City). That drive is a little longer than the one to BC, but very pretty. As for the town, I do not remember enough to help on that other than Winter activities. Try a post on a MV board?

Hope you have a fun trip!

5. Re: After Gatinbrg-stay one night near Bryson, Dillsboro,,??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...