We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving through 441 from the south. a couple questions.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
driving through 441 from the south. a couple questions.

We're driving up from Pensacola Beach for a stay in Gatlinburg. Looks like it's about a 9hr drive. Hopefully, we leave by 8am. We leave for our summer vacation in less than 2 weeks and trying to finalize everything. This is our 1st visit. Staying 2 or 3 nights. Have 2 scheduled(will probably add a 3rd up there). I don't think we will be able to drive this section if we don't drive through it getting to GB.

I'm wondering if I should drive throug the Park to get to GB (if not, then around Knoxville, I40>440/321)? Does it really takes an hour to drive through the Park?

How is driving on Hwy 23, 23/441? I know it's not the interstate.

Is the TN/NC state line clearly marked? Would love to take a "being in 2 places at one time" picture. And any other places for a pulloff for a quick pic?

Thanks.

Lafayette, LA
Level Contributor
179 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving through 441 from the south. a couple questions.

Yes, it does take at least 1 hour to go through the park. That is if there is little traffic. There are no need for speed limit signs, because you can not go over the speed limit if you wanted to. You would never make the next curve if you did speed. This being your first visit, like mine, you will most likely be driving slower than you expect just because you will be in awe of the sights on 441 (Newfound Gap Road). There are pull offs everywhere on this road, but I do not remember if there is a state line clearly marked. There is a sign, but I don't remember a line in the road. Hope this helps.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving through 441 from the south. a couple questions.

At the New found Gap main stop in the middle there is a sign in the parking lot.

If you have not been on this road you are missing out! It is so beautiful!

But I would not drive it in the dark. It is very curvy, steep and dark. And local people drive it way to fast. They come up on you and ride your bumber at night and it is to dark for you to see most of the pull offs until it is to late so you can not get out of their way.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving through 441 from the south. a couple questions.

Thank you.

Decided to drive through the Park to get to the 'Burg. Plan on arriving in the Park around 3-4pm. This should be enough time to drive through it. Looking forward to it.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: driving through 441 from the south. a couple questions.

Suburbanite05:

441 from I-85 is mostly 4 lanes from there to here and it is an easy drive. There are things to do and see on the NC side. Take note on your way to Gburg on the things to do here or better yet stop at the NC visitor center in Franklin on the left and pick up info on the Smokies. It will be worth your stop to do so.

The state line is clearly marked.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving through 441 from the south. a couple questions.

The North Carolina/Tennessee state line on 441 is at Newfound Gap in the park. There is a parking lot there and it will be busy. 441 through the park is well worth the ride. It is beautiful counrty there.

6. Re: driving through 441 from the south. a couple questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 11:21
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...