We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New favorite scienic drive!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New favorite scienic drive!

The Cherohala Skyway Drive got replaced today on my list by the Blueridge Parkway! I had never driven it from the park all the way to Ashville! Well today I actually drove it from Ashville to the park! It really it sooooooooo beautiful! So I admit I was wrong and Bob is right on this! LOL I do not know if I will ever get all the pictures uploaded!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New favorite scienic drive!

Hi RBG,

I tried that trip a couple of years ago, but they had part of it closed because if ice at the French Broad River area. I'm going to have to try it again sometime soon. From what I was abe to see, it was wonderful.

Bob

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New favorite scienic drive!

Redeem I have to agree with you. The BRP from Asheville to Cherokee is pretty.

The diff seasons make the two roads comepletely diff. The BRP is so pretty any season. The Cherohala is best in fall and winter. I have been up there when the rhime ice is on the trees. It is something you will never forget. Google rhime ice on Cherohala u will see pics.

The fall colors will change early on Cherohala and around mile marker 420 on BRP. Real early on highway 215. Go south on hwy 215 around Oct. 13 to see the best color in the area.

Hope this helps.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New favorite scienic drive!

I agree RBG. I love the BRP. Cherohala is nice too, but the Blue Ridge Parkway is my #1. I hope to drive the entire thing up to Shenandoah sometime next year.

I have only driven Cherohala once, and my main complaint is that it is just too far to drive when you are staying in Gatlinburg. I would love to see it in the fall/winter though.

I'll be watching for your photos.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New favorite scienic drive!

Ditto here....The BRP has much more diversity and even better views than Cherohala. Oh, Cherohala is a nice drive if you are going that way, but I did not find it as spectacular as folks had let on. BRP never disappoints! That's for sure!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New favorite scienic drive!

I like both roads for different reasons; for me, there are many different variables that go into making a scenic drive enjoyable. They both excel in some and fall short in others. Most significantly, when I first drove from Tennessee into North Carolina on the Skyway, I appropriately felt that I was flying. On the Blue Ridge Parkway, I felt like I was part of the mountain; part of the landscape.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New favorite scienic drive!

RBG:

I was at Charlies Bunion way back in college with a good friend of mine on Spring Break. We started to compare Everglades National Park to GSMNP and which one is more beautiful. Some wiser older hikers than I was at the time uttered it is foolish to compare two so beautiful places.

It is not a matter of being right or wrong, but my goal is to educate visitors to the Smokies, all the Smokies including the surrounding national forests and the BRP. I agree, the BRP is absolutely a fantastic scenic drive and it traverses almost every hardwood forest community found in the eastern mountains. Come back and tour the parkway in the fall and you will fall in love with it even more....

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New favorite scienic drive!

Hey Firefighter:

Perhaps staying on the NC side of the park would be a better option for exploring the NC side. Just a thought. If you love mountains and the outdoors, miles of trails, roads and rivers to explore, it is the place to be here in NC...I crack myself up and that rhyme just came to me...(lol)...

8. Re: New favorite scienic drive!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...