We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is a terrible year for fall color

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Topic
This is a terrible year for fall color

I know it ain't over till it's over and the colors peaked last year in late Oct/early Nov, but I think this year may be a dud.

I was just in the park on Tues and just saw nothing as impressive and colorful as the last couple of years around the same time and even a bit later. I saw a lot of trees that were brown and very few that were "exploding" with color.

We may have to just write this year off and look forward to next year. Or maybe things will turn around in the next week or two and I'll be wrong...I hope I am, but sadly I doubt it.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

Oh contraire mon fraire ... I tend to think this fall is shaping up like last years with color much later into November. Here in the Sylva-Dillsboro metroplex where I live, the mountain is still mostly green. I think the fall has not ramped up yet. Funny how publications predicting the peak of fall with articals written over a month ago influence travel. We have not had a cold October or even a cool September, so perhaps fall will be rolling along until Thanksgiving like last year. It might have been a dud for you TChiker in part because it was not anywhere near peak.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

Well I've never heard of a fall color peak around Thanksgiving that was anything special. I think I was a bit early for the peak, but I just have a feeling that isn't not going to get that much better. There were just too many leaves turning brown and too many trees with half the leaves already dropped off.

I'm no expert on this and have only been paying close attention to the fall color for 3 years, but just have been very disappointed in what I saw this past week.

But by all means keep hope alive and maybe this upcoming cold snap will really get things going.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

and while I'm at it, it was really hazy on this past trip too...I would expect that in the summer but not this time of year...maybe it's just all the pollution but it's sad.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

Somtimes too teh colors peak in some areas of the park and not in others. Somtimes you have to drive to differetn areas. The trees are different types of forests on every side of every mountian ya know.

Knoxville, TN
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

I led a hike to Backcountry Campsite #17 via Little Bottoms and Cooper Road trails on November 1st, and the leaves couldn't have been more breathtaking. They were absolutely peaking, and those of us who are familiar with color peaks here in East Tennessee agreed we hit the jackpot.

Having experienced that splendor, just the opposite was the case on my latest hike, on the 9th. I hiked a 15-mile loop in the Middle Prong/Panther Creek/Lynn Camp Prong area and almost all of the color was gone, as probably 75% of the leaves had fallen. The higher up I went the fewer leaves there were, as is to be expected.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

Uh, tchiker, I live here and I just report what I saw last year from my home at 2,500 feet near Dillsboro. Peak happened last week (first week of November) and it was spectacular. We noticed an influx of guests in our store around the 2nd to 3rd week and they were here due to reading that it was the peak week in October. Well, it was pretty, but it was nowhere near peak.

The oaks are turned this year last week and as I write this we are having a lot of wind. We have had over 3 inches of snow so far back in October and they are forcasting snow for Saturday night and possibly Tuesday. Fall is giving way to winter. Hopefully we will have more snow this year! Long range models are suggesting a white Thanksgiving....

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

We were in the Smokies from Nov 1-6 and the colors were great most places that we went. Only the higher elevations were bare. We have been in the Smokies at different times in October and this time was about as good as we have seen.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

Well I clearly went too early this year. I didn't think that Oct 20 would be way too early, but maybe it was. I'm glad to hear that the lower elevations came through for you guys in early Nov. I'll definitely maybe shoot for the end of Oct next year although every year is apparently a little different.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

tchiker:

Here is my tip for planning to see the fall. Come September start watching the weather for the region, follow the cold fronts, long range forcasting models and so on. If we get cool weather in September or a nice shot of cold air toward the end of September early October, then it will help speed up the color come mid October. However, if we are still in 80s come the end of September to the first part of October, then fall peak colors come toward the end of October. Another factor with those cold fronts is how much wind and rain accompany them. The more wind and rain, the more leaves get stripped from the trees or sooner they do.

Last Thanksgving it was not peak by any means, but the oaks which typically change last and lose their leaves last, were the brightest I have ever seen them last Thanksgiving. They are pretty bright now and some will still hold their leaves through Thanksgiving this year.

10. Re: This is a terrible year for fall color

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...