We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisgah National Forest

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Pisgah National Forest

This isn't the right location for this topic, but I rarely see anything on the North Carolina forums about the western mountains and know several people on this forum that have a good deal of experience with Pisgah.

First off, I'm looking for a good map I can get orientated with. I've looked all over the web but haven't been able to find anything myself. I find it difficult to learn anything about a place without getting spatially oriented.

Secondly, I'm looking for a good general orientation to the national forest so I can get an idea of what it's like and what there is to do. Comparisons to the Smokies would help a lot. Thanks for all help (and links, if there have been good topics on this in the past)!

Kristian

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisgah National Forest

Blue:

I would check out the US Forest Service's web site and they will have maps. National Geographic has a great trails map to the Pisgah including the Shinning Rock Wilderness Area.

The Pisgah is essentially broken into two parts, both connect to one another. The Southern section is perhaps my favorite as it contains the Shinning Rock Wilderness Area which the BRP touches. There was a hige forest fire in 1920 or so that was so hot, it burned the seed stock out of the soil. There are several 6,000 footers which are essentially grassey balds and Backpacker last year said the Pisgah is perhaps the premiere in the southeast in terms of views.

The Pisgah is where the US Forest Service got its start and Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estate contained much of what is the Pisgah today. The Craddle of Forestry is located on US 276 east of Waynesville and before Brevard. Looking Glass Rock is a popular hiking trail there on a 3,800 foot granite monolith which is also a great rock climbing destination.

The northern Pisgah goes as far north as Linville Gorge near Boone, NC. Linville Gorge is quite spectacular.

Craggy Gardens I do believe is in the Pisgah as well.

It is my understanding the Pisgah is the largest national forest in the east. The Nantahala National Forest and I believe the Cherokee National Forests touch the Pisgah as well.

The Smokies are the Smokies and the Pisgah is the Pisgah. They are both wonderful places to explore. I dont have a preference as each has its pluses and minuses. The Shinning Rock Wilderness Area is quite nice.

This is a brief rundown. Hope this helps.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisgah National Forest

Bob did a great job on getting started in Pisgah. Don't forget the Nantahala Forest south and west of Pisgah. It also has great hiking and peaks over 5,500 feet.

Cherokee National Forest in TN. is also a great place to hike and sight see. There is some great sites in and around Erwin Tn.

Here is the link I use for a lot of my research. As Bob said the National Forest maps are the best. They run from 10.00 to 15.00. I also tell everyone to get a Delorme atlas of both Tn. and NC. It will be the best 20.00 you ever spend.

http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/links2.htm

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisgah National Forest

For what it's worth here's some pictures from a one-night backpack to Shining Rock last August. Even though it rained on us, I saw enough to agree that there are some spectacular views from the balds in that area. And I never saw so many blueberries and blackberries in my life! By the way, I got a US Forest Service map of the area from Rock Creek Oufitters here near Hamilton Place - about $13 I think - but it may be more detailed than what you want. The standard Blue Ridge Parkway tourist map might give you a better overall orientation; I might have an extra one.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Also, here are some pictures from an October car camp for one night in the Roan Highlands area and two nights at the foot of Mt Mitchell. Unfortunately rain was also a problem the first two days of this trip.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisgah National Forest

Thanks for the pictures and all the other help. I spent a while on the national forest web site and on general Google searches, but I can't find any good maps. Half of them show the forests located in different places, and none of them that I have seen are anywhere as detailed as the maps for the Smokies. So unless you guys have a link for a good map I may have to invest in a super-duper hard copy map to get myself orientated.

Thanks again for the info. You guys are great. This has become a very enjoyable forum.

nashville
Level Contributor
997 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisgah National Forest

here's your link:

shop.nationalgeographic.com/jump.jsp…

the national geographic maps are pretty good.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pisgah National Forest

I like the Nat'l Geographic maps and mine for the Pisgah has gotten more use than any other. My favorite part up there is the Art Loeb trail from Black Balsam to Shining Rock (and beyond to Cold mtn). I also love Max Patch mountain which a lot of people aren't aware of. But I may love the Pisgah even more than the Smokies although it's tough to decide...both of them are worth visiting many times over.

7. Re: Pisgah National Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...