We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Hikes

Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Hikes

I am hoping to make it to the mountains the week of Christmas and was wondering are there any hikes that are really nice to do in the winter. Thank you !

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Hikes

Typically hikes for views are best in the winter. Some top notch trails include the Appalachian Trail to the views off the the beginning of the Sweet Heifer Trail, the Jumpoff, and Charlie's Bunion; Chimeny Tops; Mt. Leconte (maybe via Alum Cave?); Mt. Cammerer; and Mt. Sterling. Check out a goList I wrote on the subject: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i15631-6_000_fe…

Also, look at this recent thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143031-i2563-k236…

Kristian

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Hikes

If there's enough snow to close the road to Newfound Gap, but you can still drive to the Alum Cave trailhead, that first half-mile to a mile out Alum Cave is really beautiful with a light blanket of the white stuff laying on the bridges, on the rocks in the creek, and on the rhododendron leaves. I love the deep woods when it's quiet and it seems like it's even quieter when there's at least a little snow. Maybe you'll get lucky and have a white Christmas in the mountains, something we Tennesseeans aren't real accustomed to seeing.

But then, it could be 60 degrees and sunny, and then you could hike just about anywhere and enjoy it just as much as if it were June!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Hikes

If snow is on the ground in the valley, then perhaps most any hike is a good one. The trails along Lake Shore Drive in Bryson are nice quiet walks in the woods. The trails are rolling and you can climb up to the AT, but if you plan this hike perhaps a backpacking trip is in mind. I have always wanted to walk around Cataloochee with snow on the ground, also seeing Abrams Falls in the winter would be great too.

4. Re: Winter Hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...