We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February Trip

Kenosha, Wi
3 posts
Save Topic
February Trip

I am planning a few days in the Smoky Mountains in February to take some pictures. Are there areas that I should definitely hit at that time of the year? What is the liklihood that streams will still be running then?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February Trip

It depends on the size of the stream. All the proper streams will be flowing, of course, but the small trail-side trickle-creeks won't be there. It also depends how much rain and snow the Smokies get between now and then. About what size of a stream were you thinking of? It's a ridiculous question, I know, but that's really what it comes down to.

No, I can't really think of any areas that are particularly good in winter. Visibility is always best in winter, if that helps. When I think of wintry Smokies images the first three that come to mind are these: the creek at Greenbrier, Chimney Tops, and the homesteads in Cataloochee. Depending on how much time you have it may be a good idea to base in a couple areas rather than one.

Kristian

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: February Trip

The streams should have a good flow in Feb. As Blue stated depends on the rain and snow. I find the pic opps. in Feb. to be outstanding. Few people mean better chances without anyone ruining your pic. Let me expand on photo opps.

First if you get lucky you may catch the rhime ice on the trees at the higher elevation. Do a google on Rhime ice. It is beautiful with the clear blue sky you get in the winter.

I also like taking pics of the weathered buildings on an overcast day. Makes for a very drab gray effect. A favorite of mine is Mingus Mill on a cold overcast winter day. The buildings in Cades Cove and Roaring Fork Trail work well too.

Nothing better than a foggy cold morning in Cades Cove. Go very early for some great pics. The deer will be out early and make a great pic in the fog with the mountains in the background.

There will also me small seeps and waterfalls everywhere. They make great pics with the green moss on the rocks and the green rhodos along the banks.

If you go last week in Feb. you might even see a wildflower in the sun in bloom.

ENJOY

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: February Trip

February is the month the park service does routine maintenance on the creeks and the pumps that provide water to the creeks. Sometimes the creeks are turned off, so check with Sugarlands visitor center to make sure the creeks are turned on and the pumps are working properly ;-)..........

just kidding. I saw this thing on a TV show once where they played a prank at old Faithful when a park ranger turned a fake valve at the exact momment the geyser was erupting. it was quite funny.

The creeks will have some water in them. So far this winter is a wet one. yeah!

Kenosha, Wi
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: February Trip

Thanks for all the wonderful tips. I was thinking that it might not be worth my while, but I can see I would miss a great opportunity if I didn't go. Thanks again.

Brian

leftcoast
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February Trip

the area up Tremont Road (near the Townsend Wye) might be good for some winter pictures. The river through here has a lot of interesting spots. I spent some time there this past spring making some pictures.

6. Re: February Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 01:16