We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow?! April trip.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
228 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Snow?! April trip.

I've been doing more tooling around trying to firm up our itinerary, and it looks like there's often a snow shower or two in early April. This would be a total dream come true for me, a native Floridian.

I know it's dependent on a million factors, but if it were cold enough still for some snow to be left on the ground somewhere, where would that be? Clingman's Dome, I assume?

Though we'd be woefully unprepared clothing-wise, it would be insanely exciting for us to see snow. I'd really like to clobber my husband with a snowball.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow?! April trip.

noaa says that mt. leconte has averaged 6.5 inches of april snow since 1988. 5 inches for clingman's dome.

you can follow snow depth at this link:

www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php…

there's 10 inches at newfound gap right now.

oh. and if there's a bunch of snow they'll close the road anyway, so it could be a long hike to make a snowball. you should totally do it.

more than likely, no snow. but if you ask the rangers and plan a hike along some northern-facing slopes, i bet you could find some.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow?! April trip.

last year, on april 15 4.5 inches of snow fell on mt leconte. on april 1, 2003, 10 inches. 4/3/05 8.5 inches fell. 4/1/2004 8 inches.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow?! April trip.

If the road open and 441 isn't, you could travel to Balsam Mountain (campground at 5,500 feet) which would likely have snow. Or you take a hike for views that starts in the valleys like Mt. Cammerer, Mt.Sterling, etc.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,119 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow?! April trip.

Clingmans Dome Road doesn't open for the season until April 1st each year, and if there's snow, they will keep it closed until the snow is gone; they don't plow that road.

Your best bet would be Newfound Gap as they do plow Hwy 441, but again, the road will be closed if snow is excessive.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow?! April trip.

Your best bet is going to be Newfound Gap Road (441) and Clingmans Dome Road. There is often alot of leftover snow near Newfound Gap - I just went sledding there last week. If there is alot of snow, Clingmans Dome road will more than likely close for several days, but 441 will open as quickly as possible.

Here is a good number to store in your cell:

(865)436-1200, dial ext 631 when you hear a voice.

This is the parks road closure line. It is invaluable if you are visiting the park during the winter months. We check it almost everyday.

Also, the Heintooga Rodge Road leading to Balsam Mtn Campground will still be closed during your visit, so you won't be able to check that one out.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow?! April trip.

Since moving here nearly 4 years ago, from one native Floridian to another, it has snowed on all my kids spring breaks. For 3 years running we left the NC Smokies driving in snow to Florida in April or March. Not saying it will happen, but it very likely could.

Now with that said, on the NC side up on Soco Gap where the Blue Ridge Parkway crosses US 19 at almost 4,400 feet you will likely find snow there and the sledding is way better than anything in the National Park, you can sled on the National Park lands at the BRP. And to top it all off, US 19 is maintained and accessible during snow storms where as US 441 is not.

They have more snow in Haywood County ( Maggie Valley) than perhaps anywhere else in the Smokies including the TN side. So if snow is what you are seeking consider the NC side for accessibility because if you cant get to it, no matter how much it snows at Newfound Gap it really does not matter, does it?

Bob

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
228 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow?! April trip.

If it's possible to be MORE excited about this trip, I don't think I can handle it! :) I really, really hope we get some snow.

Thanks for all the great responses. I hadn't really considered road closures (Guess that's the Floridian in me!), so those tips were great.

I can't wait for April.

8. Re: Snow?! April trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 12:19