We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March in the Smokies

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
March in the Smokies

Who has been in March or is going this March. Are the flowers usually blooming yet? It seems like it would be a good time for hiking.

I found out that for the first time in 8 years, the University is giving staff a holiday during spring break. And then when I told my boyfriend how excited I was about this, he said sounds like a perfect

time to take a trip to the mountains!! Double Yay!!

I am so excited about taking him to a place I love so dearly! He has been to the mountains several times as a child but says the only thing he remembers are the leather shops on the parkway! :)

I cant wait to show him the park!

Spring is the only season I havent experienced in the Smokies and I am so excited ( can you tell) about going this year! Let the trip planning begin!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March in the Smokies

Some wildflowers start blooming in March; you can find out specifics by doing a Google search. It's a great time to hiking, and crowds are usually pretty low. The only disadvantage is that temperatures are cool enough that you have to put on a jacket or coat while not moving but get too hot with such garments on when you continue trekking. Other than that minor problem, it's one of the best months of the year. Spring as a whole is great and is my favourite month there.

Kristian

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: March in the Smokies

When in March are you coming here? March is in about 2 weeks and I can tell you living here, no flowers, no trees budding out. We have dafodils popping up, but they will not be in bloom until late March to early April.

Inspite of lack of spring, the place is beautiful even in our winter colors...

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,485 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March in the Smokies

Most of the March wildflowers don't bloom until late in the month, unless we have an unusually warm early March.

It's still a great time to visit and hike though.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: March in the Smokies

yeah... probably not too many flowers. you'll probably see some daffodils.

one thing to keep in mind: the weather can be absolutely wild in March. you could see a 70-degree day back-to-back with a 20-degree day. you could see violent thunderstorms as well as major snow storms.

if you're heading for the trails, be prepared for everything.

5. Re: March in the Smokies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...