We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

I was in Cades Cove last weekend and the daffodils were in full bloom. I'm not sure how much longer they will last, but if you will be visiting the Cove soon you should check this out...

Right after you pass the turn off for Rich Mountain Road and the Missionary Baptist Church, you will see an open field on your right. Here you will find daffodils planted in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps that spell out "COMPANY 5427." The numbers are a little hard to make out, but you can still read "COMPANY" very well.

Just a little interesting find that I thought I would share with you guys.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

Thanks for the tip! Sounds very cool.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

Here's a photo:

http://tinyurl.com/d3djr7

It's much easier to read in person, but this gives you an idea. It is quite a large planting.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

Sweet! Yeah, I can read it. I definitely want to take a look at that. It is near the very beginning of Rich Mtn?

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

Yes, just after you pass the entrance to Rich Mountain Road, you will come to a field. Look in the field to your right and you will see it. It is a little off the road, but it's kind of hard to miss when you know what you are looking for.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

Oh, and if you get to the creek crossing, you've gone too far.

Here's some more info that I just found:

…homestead.com/CadesCoveCCCCamp.html

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

Yeah..the CCC camps would plant them with their digits. I have been in the back country and have seen daffodils in the woods planted with these numbers in the middle of nowhere.

There is a saying my native North Carolina neighbors have...it always snows on the daffodils. it has been true since I moved here going on 4 years ago and I suspect we still have a snow or 2 left ahead of us...

Charleston
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

I saw a line of daffodils in the middle of the field there in Cades Cove when we were there a couple of weeks ago. I wondered who planted them like that. I'm glad to read this... it was probably one of those by the CCC.

8. Re: Something to look for if you are visiting Cades Cove soon...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 23:16