We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail Reference Book for Park

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
1,188 reviews
Save Topic
Trail Reference Book for Park

I've never been but I'm looking to do some dayhikes in the park, any suggestions where to find a good reference to plan a trip for day hikes? Best entrance?

Louisville
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail Reference Book for Park

OC,

The website below has a fairly comprehensive list of dayhikes. You can find trails by location within the park, by difficulty, or by trail features. Let us know if you have any questions on specific trails.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/

Jeff

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail Reference Book for Park

You need to talk with *bluecuzco*.

he knows the Park very well,And all the good hiking trails.I would listen to what he says .because he is very knowablbe regarding Smoky Mountain National Park.And is a Guru on hiking.

the only hikes I will do are just the quiet walkway walks.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trail Reference Book for Park

The best book to pick up for trail info in the park is "Hiking Trails of the Smokies." It is a must for anyone who hikes in the Smokies. I never hike without it. This book gives very detailed info on each trail, with mileage and elevation charts.

Another one that I like is "Day Hikes of the Smokies." It is a lot like "Hiking Trails of the Smokies", but lists only popular trails and loop hikes that can easily be finished in one day.

Both of these books can be purchased here: www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,5.html or at any of the parks visitors centers. All purchases benefit the park.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trail Reference Book for Park

Hi OntarioCanuck,

Along with FFG's great suggestions, if you like history, you may want to check out the book "History Hikes of Smokies". It's pocket size so you can take it along with you and read about the historical information and sites along the hike.

www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,455.html

Bob

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trail Reference Book for Park

I agree with FFG 100%. Also, if you like waterfall hikes, I suggest "Waterfalls of the Smokeys." It has pictures of the falls as well as how to get to the trails, ratings, and a little bit of history.

leftcoast
Level Contributor
280 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trail Reference Book for Park

Canuck,

I own every single one of the books that the previous posters mentioned in reply to your question and I recommend you get every one of them. They aren't that expensive and I've found them to be invaluable.

Which trail you take depends on when you go. If you go this spring, I recommend a wildflower hike. If you're waiting until summer, I'd suggest two hikes - a high mountain one and a waterfall one (it will be cooler). If you go in the fall, I'd suggest one of the hikes on the periphery of the park to avoid the traffic of the leaf-peepers.

The best entrance depends on where you want to go and where you are staying. The entrance on 441 at Gatlinburg (or the Bypass) is probably the busiest. The Townsend entrance is a little less used but provides easy access. The Cherokee entrance from the south is like the Gatlinburg entrance from the north except without the Bypass that allows you to avoid the neon overload. The other entrances to the park mostly all deadend but provide good access to hiking, such as the Greenbrier entrance.

7. Re: Trail Reference Book for Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...