We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

Since my last posting about my Standing Indian trip my private school went defunct. There will be a commemorative gathering this weekend, so I do not know whether or not the camping trip will work. Nevertheless, I went to a book store today to do a little more research (am I cheap or what?) and have come up with an itinerary. I'm very interested in your thoughts; especially regarding how much time listed activities will take.

Day 1: Drive to Standing Indian Campground from Chattanooga; set up camp. Hike up Standing Indian. If time allows, hike to Big Laurel or Mooney Falls.

Day 2: Take Highway 28 down to Highlands. Visit Cullasaja and Bridal Veil Falls on the way down. In the highlands area, visit Glen Falls and maybe Secret Falls. [Q: Is Highlands worth poking around in? How much is there to see in the town for the casual visitor?]

Day 3: Drive up to Wayah Bald. [Q: What sites to see are up there? Fire tower? Hiking? (AT, right?)] If time allows, visit Rufus Morgan Falls or hike to the Wasilik Poplar. Break camp and head back home.

It seems like we will be visiting a lot of waterfalls; are we visiting too many? If so, how should I change the itinerary?

Also, tchiker recommended the hike up Siler Bald over Standing Indian. Do you agree with this? I've kind of got a hankering to go up Standing Indian, but that's not a very educated hankering. Should I hike to Big Laurel Falls/Wasilik Poplar the first day and go up to Wayah and Siler balds the third?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

I heard about your school; hope that isn't too much of a disappointment. But I'd suggest you make memories with your dad this weekend.

Can't tell you anything about your trip except thst on my one cruise thru Highlands, I got the impression that it was definitely the 'high rent district'.

Have a great time!

John

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

Looks like a very good plan. Highlands is for the rich. There is a good fudge store there.

I would hit Wayah Bald on your way home. There is the fire tower and the AT. There will be some pretty flowering plants in bloom.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

Thanks for the responses. My school's closing was a pretty big dissapointment, though it didn't really have time to sink in until recently. Whether or not I go to the final celebration/commemeration thingy depends on who else is going. I agree that for this situtation it'd be really good for me to get out in big nature.

Jaded, is Wayah really on the way back to Chattanooga, or would we have to retrace our steps the way we came once we go up there?

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

Blue the paved road to Wayah comes out on 74/19 near Andrews NC. That will take you all the way home. It is a pretty drive as well. I would buy a Delorme Atlas of North Carolina. Good detailed maps.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

In Highlands...you MUST go to SweeTreats.

The best ice cream place...create your own flavor.

My favorite: Chocolate with Brownie, Cherry and Amaretto...YUM!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

Thanks for the tip! We won't be taking the trip this weekend, but do plan on taking it later on this summer.

Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

So glad you are coming to NC.

Just a couple of things

Day 2 In Cashiers/Highlands you are so close to Whitewater Falls in the Jocassee Gorges area, if you can manage try to take it in. Tallest falls on the east coast 411 feet. I'd choose that over poking around town any day.

Now I have two more things for you, both are to help you develop, educate, and satisfy some of those hankerings!

First for you, link to North Carolina Scenic Byways. It will give you some solid driving times and routes. I sent for the hardcopy and gave NCDOT a check for it because I appreciate the wildflowers they plant along our interstates. Your trip will take you on portions of Nantahala Byway, Waterfall Byway, and I hope you'll consider Whitewater Way.

ncdot.org/doh/…

Now cheap is my middle name but I would have paid for this free newsletter from NC division of the National Forest Service. Postponing your trip gives you time to call them and request the hardcopy to carry with you. Great roads map includes dirt roads, plus you get the listing of what each area has to offer (Wayah, Standing Indian, Whitewater Falls etc) It's a keeper!

…unca.edu/nfsnc/…carolina_connections_09.pdf

Good luck Bluecuzco, we are an independent school family and sorry to hear about your school. Please give us a trip report when you get back. We have to wait until August for our trip to the area so we will look forward to reading about yours.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

Thanks for the info! This is great to know.

9. Re: Final itinerary for June Standing Indian trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 07:17