We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Some Help W/Picnic Spot

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Need Some Help W/Picnic Spot

We are taking our kids this weekend while in town - can anyone tell me of a good picnic area - next to some water? Also, are there any streams that are okay for kids to play in?

Thanks!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Some Help W/Picnic Spot

Metcalf Bottoms picnic area has a lot of river side picnic tables. Most parts of the river are relatively slow moving water with a few deeper holes up to maybe 3ft max. It' a place we always used when I was a kid back in the 60's and have used for our kids in the past. Please be sure to keep an eye on the little ones in any stream. Also be aware that the water in those streams is very cold even in the middle of the summer. Small children will need to warm up periodically by sitting out for a few minutes every once in a while. I kow I used to stay in until I turned blue and shivered when I was a kid.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Some Help W/Picnic Spot

Chimney Tops is so beautiful! But it fills up fast! If you want to be by the water you have to get there early.Big Creek is usually less crowded. Here is some links:

http://www.smokies.ws/picnicing.html

mysmokymountainvacation.com/picnic-chimneys.…

Mentioned in this post
Chimney Tops
Chimney Tops
378 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Some Help W/Picnic Spot

Hi LilMommyBug,

As suepeggy mentioned above, Chimney Tops is a beautiful place to have a picnic. I don't think that I would want to combine swimming to the picnic at that location. Fast water and huge boulders in the river.

coastermeister suggested Metcalf Bottoms. I have always liked that area. The water is slow and probably great for wading. Just as coastermeister said above, please keep a VERY close eye at all times on the kids (and adults). It may look very tranquil and safe, but those rocks under water can be very slick. Same thing if you all take a hike to a waterfall.

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Chimney Tops
Chimney Tops
378 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Some Help W/Picnic Spot

i'm partial to greenbrier. beautiful are next to a river, it's not as popular as some of the other place. the water is perfect for wading as well.

5. Re: Need Some Help W/Picnic Spot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...