We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

These will be paved in new improvements announced by the park.

citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article…

Hamilton, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

Well, Cades Cove and Roaring Fork both BADLY need the paving, so those are obvious and welcome improvements. Repaving Clingman's Dome Road is a bizarre decision though, at least to me. I may be missing something, but in my recent visits I found that road to be in very good shape.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

From reading the article it looks like a fair amount of improvements. They all will be welcome.

John

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

Thanks for the link. What area is considered to be the "Sinks"?

Carol

nashville
Level Contributor
995 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

the sinks are the falls on Laurel River Road... normally there are hoards of people there.

personally i'm annoyed by this "improvement". i have no problem with them fixing roads, bathrooms, camp facilities but the last thing this park needs is more concrete. you don't need a platform to see the falls.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

The Sinks

Located just 1.5 miles east of Metcalf Bottoms picnic area, The Sinks are a combination of hydraulic rapids and deep pools. Folklore tells of how a logging train once derailed and plunged into the Little River at this spot. It was never found as the bottom could not be reached. Thereafter, this spot was always referred to as "The Sinks."

This site describes the different areas in real nice short overviews:

allthesmokies.com/along_little_river_road.ht…

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

Thanks to the both of you for the information!

Carol

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

In regards to repaving roads in Cades Cove...on either Hyatt lane or Sparks lane, (I'm not sure which) there's a section of road that is completely under water. (perhaps ten feet or more) Do they plan to eliminate that water over the road? Personally, I think its kinda pretty. I love stopping just short of that and getting out of the car, and listening to that rushing water.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

Let me clerify my last remark, where I stated a section of road in Cades Cove was underwater...I meant a ten foot section of the road, not ten foot deep.

9. Re: Paving Cades Cove and Roaring Fork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 05:17