We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

We are planning a last minute vacation to Mount Rushmore from Kansas city and due to the upcoming Sturgis bike rally, we need to seek an alternate destination.

So we are considering smoky mountains, which we never visited before. I read fall is the best time to visit

1. Is the next week a good time weather wise? Any sporting events or other major events the weeks of 7/25 or 8/1 that would make our trip difficult?

2. We are a couple with 3 and 7 year old boys. What activities they can have?

3. Any good recommendations on hotel? Searching on Expedia gave Park Vista Gatlinburg for $70 and holiday inn Pigeon Force at $80. Which place is better, Gatlinburg or Pigeon Force or something else? Any other cabin or resort kind of accommodations? We want to spend less than $150 per night.

4. Is 3 days a good amount of time or should be shorter or longer. We will not be doing long hikes.

Sorry, lot of questions but I just have very little time to plan. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

Kids like Dollywood (amusement park) in Pigeon Forge. The 7-year-old is old enough for the junior ranger program (usually a couple of hours long) in the national park. It's hot in July, but the heat doesn't seem to deter visitors. There are lots of tourist-type activities in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, but I go to the area for hiking and camping and so will let others comment on specific activities in town.

Mentioned in this post
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,924 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

You mentioned were there any sporting events in the area, There is the minor league baseball teams in Knoxville and Chattanooga. I'm not sure if the teams will be in town while you are here. Knoxville's about 20 miles away from Gatlinburg,I guess. And as someone else mentioned, Dollywood, and lots of rides and gamerooms. But for me the big attraction is the mountains and the park.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,924 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

We will skip the dollywood as it is whole day activity. We want to add few shorter activities with major concentration on mountains and nature. Junior ranger activity sounds good.

Any recommendations on places to stay?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,592 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

There's no minor league baseball in Knoxville any more....they moved to Sevierville right next to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

They are called the Tennessee Smokies and are an affiliate of my Chicago Cubs, with Hall-of-Famer Ryne Sandberg as the manager this year (my little buddy).

KC Dude,

Have you ever been to Branson? If so, you're going to find the Smokies are to be similar...different but similar.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Branson
Branson
Missouri
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

Yes, we went to Branson about 5-6 times and we like it a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Branson
Branson
Missouri
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,592 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

The national park is the key difference over Branson (and the Smokies don't have quite as many celebrity theaters anymore).

As far as kid's activities, you'll find you won't have time to do everything you want to do, but please try to spend sometime in the national park; after all, it's free.

Mentioned in this post
Branson
Branson
Missouri
Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

The food in the smoky mountain area is sooooooooo much better than in Branson. we usually stay in the Pigeon Forge area, you have to drive to most of the places there, but if you prefer to walk, then Gatlinburg might be better for you. Just look at the different reviews for the hotels here, we like Econolodge Riverside, large inside pool, Red Roof Inn, inside pool, Willowbrook, inside and outside pool

Mentioned in this post
Branson
Branson
Missouri
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

I wasn't aware that they'd moved from Knoxville. How long ago did they leave? I know for awhile the Cubs had a AA farm team in Jackson Tn. called the West Tennessee Diamondjax. Tennesse has a lot of major league baseball farm teams. Memphis has the Red Birds (Cardinals) Nashville has the Sounds (Brewers) Chattanooga has the Lookouts (Royals, I think)

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Jackson
Jackson
Tennessee
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,592 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

Would you believe it's been 10 years since the Smokies moved to Sevierville? Hard for me to believe to. When there was a team in Knoxville, they were the K-Jays, an affiliate of the Blue Jays.

Yes, the Diamondjax team was an affiliate of the Cubs until a couple or three years ago, when they switched to the Smokies.

The Lookouts in Chattanooga are in their 9th season in AT&T field, having moved there from Engall Stadium in 2000. They were a Reds affiliate up until this year, but now they are a Dodger affiliate.

Mentioned in this post
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activties for 3 and 7 year old boys, is summer good time

We never stayed in a cabin. Any good suggestions for some inexpensive cabins? Will there be an option of a pool and cabin?

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...