We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

Louisville
Level Contributor
465 posts
Save Topic
Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

According to the Great Smoky Mountains Association Newsletter that was just delivered to my email in-box, the Cades Cove Loop Road is scheduled to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks in 2010.

The road repair is scheduled to begin on or about March 1, 2010, and will conclude on or about May 15.

More info:

…blogspot.com/2009/07/cades-cove-loop-to-be-…

Jeff

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

I talked to rangers and the official park spokesperson last Thursday and they told me the closure will be from early May through July.

March is an unreasonable time due to the fact that the weather will still be too cold to pave and the pavement "settle" or "cure" propertly. They must wait until they have warmer weather in the spring to begin.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

Will this be a true closure or just a closure to motor-vehicles?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

Well, considering they are going to be "completely rebuilding" the road surface throughout the entire loop road, I think it's a complete closure for everyone on the road.

You may be able to access the cove area via trails, and there was no mention of closing the campground, so I don't think it will be a "complete" closure of the entire area.

ky.boy
Level Contributor
588 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

I talked to the official park spokesman today and he said the project may be moved again back to begin in early march and end in may due to the preasure to have it ready for peak season.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

But if they move it back to March, it's going to be too cold to do the paving, which is why they moved it to May-July anyway!!

I would rather see them "loose one summer" than have that road in terrible condition again in a matter of just a few months because they didn't get the paving cured properly. There's no point in doing a job if you don't do it correctly.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

I just wanted to share an email I received this morning from management of the NPS regarding the closure of the loop road. I *THINK* the labor day in the last paragraph should read MEMORIAL DAY since that was mentioned earlier in the email. I left the name of the sender out to protect his/her privacy.

"We have not nailed down the dates to the minute yet, but do expect to have to close the Loop next year from early March to mid-May to allow for total reconstruction and repaving. We do not expect it to last past Memorial Day.

The closure is unavoidable as the process being used will involve grinding up the existing paving and sub-surface material and adding a cement binder

to it then compacting it into a new sub-base all on the spot w/o any hauling away of material. Saves a ton of trucking and logistical complexity compared with conventional milling and reprocessing. But the downside is that the reprocessed sub-base cannot support traffic or be paved over for about a week, which means we have to keep traffic off it, ruling out working at night then re-opening to cars the next morning. Picture varnishing your dining room floor: You crawl backwards out of the room,

varnishing as you retreat, then stay off the floor until it's dry.

We expect to put out a press release after Labor Day when we are closer to contract award and have refined the timetable.

But we will try like the plaque to avoid any disruption after Labor Day and we feel comfortable that we can do that."

Seems to me that IF they go past Memorial day it won't be because it's planned but more definitive dates will be available later this fall.

Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

Any further updates on this topic?

Pam

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

Pam,

They still have not announced specific dates yet.

9. Re: Cades Cove Loop to be closed for rehab for 10 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...