We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Week and Counting...

Orlando, Fl
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One Week and Counting...

Hubby and I are heading up to our 12th year getaway to Gatlinburg!

Last year we had such amazing hiking, lots of snow and ice made the hikes a little treacherous but got amazing pictures.

So, what's it gonna be like this year??

Colors, weather, snow??

nashville
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Week and Counting...

too early for snow in Gatlinburg... you might see some up at Newfound Gap, though. the highcountry got its first snow a few weeks ago, I heard.

you'll see some color here and there, but the leaves have fallen for the most part.

have a great trip... what hikes are you guys doing this year?

Orlando, Fl
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One Week and Counting...

I know last year's snow was a fluke but sooo cool!!

We haven't decided what hikes to do yet. We try to do something new each year. We do one long day hike one day then do several smaller hikes the other days!

Any suggestions? We have done Chimney Top, LeConte already....

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
345 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Week and Counting...

Go out to Cades Cove and take the Rich Mountain Loop Trail. Do not confuse this with the Rich Mountain Trail. The loop trail begins near the John Oliver cabin in Cades Cove, junctions with Indian Grave Trail, then junctions with Crooked Arm Ridge Trail. Just over 8 miles and has good views when the leaves are off the trees, good color in the Fall, although the color is about past. Trail runs along park boundry for part of its route and will give you a good taste of the western end of the park. Quite different from LeConte and Chimneys areas.

Day Hikes of the Smokies has a good description of the Rich Mt Loop Trail.

Orlando, Fl
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One Week and Counting...

Wow, that sounds awesome. We haven't been to Cades in 11 years. We have a tendency to stay in the Chimney/LeConte area.

Thanks so much for the recommendation!!

nashville
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One Week and Counting...

you should consider the hike out to Andrews Bald. you'd take the Forney Ridge Trail from the Clingman's Dome parking lot (there are signs... hard to miss). i believe it's just over 3.5 miles, round trip. the views from the bald are A+. plus, the Frasier Fir-Red Spruce forest is completely unique to the highest peaks of the Southern Appalachians... and a very cool place to be, smells like Christmas =) this is one of the very few places you can hike in a Spruce-Fir forest without having to climb a mountain.

for a longer day hike, consider the 8-mile round trip to Ramsay Cascades. some of the biggest trees in the park are along this trail and the falls is my favorite in the park. back in April, me and the little lady saw three bear cubs playing the grass while momma took a nap just 50-60 feet off the trail... one of my favorite memories from the park.

Orlando, Fl
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: One Week and Counting...

Thanks so much. With all the rain you guys got from Ida, the Cascades have to be amazing. Definitely considering a panoramic hike with some falls included.

I wish we could have experienced the bear cubs, how great was that??

Thanks again for you comments and suggestions.

7. Re: One Week and Counting...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...