We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoky Mountains In Nov End

1 post
Save Topic
Smoky Mountains In Nov End

How the weather will be in Smoky Mountains in Nov end? I am planning to visit at thanksgiving?

I will be visiting Smoky Mountains for the first time. Should I wait till summer? As I want to enjoy the beauty of Smoky Mountains.

Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoky Mountains In Nov End

The weather varies from day to day/week to week. We will be going up on Nov 18 and stay for 4-5 days and according to weather.com it looks like it will be raining off and on while we are there. Last year (the same week) we were able to see a small snow flurry and then a light snow on higher elevations. Personally, I love the Smoky Mountains in any weather (still hoping to get a big snow trip fit in somehow)!!! To us it is much colder because we live in the lowcountry of SC and don't experience much cold, for you the temp may not be that cold since you are coming from cold. The late spring and early summer are probably better for hiking and being out and about since the weather is somewhat perfect at that time. The festival of Christmas lights will be going at end of Nov. and the towns are all decorated very nicely. I hope this helps~ hope you have a great trip.

Level Contributor
1,045 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoky Mountains In Nov End

temperature-wise and humidity-wise, November's a great time to be in the park... could be chilly but it'll probably be quite pleasant during the day. the fall's my favorite time to go hiking.

...you never know about rain. September-October tend to be the drier months, but we had record rainfall this September.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoky Mountains In Nov End

I think now is the best time of year to be visiting the smokys....for several reasons. motel rates are typically cheaper, temps are more tolerable, less crowds to get tangled up in. The only "down side" to visiting now is some of the popular sites in the park will soon be closing for the winter. (Clingmans Dome, Roaring Fork nature trail, Rich mountain Rd in Cades Cove. And the town of Cherokee will for all intents and purposes, be closed for tourism.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoky Mountains In Nov End

I've not been in the fall, but I can see "naked trees" here :) We went the last week of April this year and was a great time to go. Great weather, LOTS of bears out and about, the trees were all green, but the underbrush had not come in yet, so made for good bear spotting. And.. all the dogwood and wild flowers were in bloom. I was told the end of April and beginning of May is a good time to go. Rates are not high yet and not crowded... That time of year is my pick personally. I live very near Hocking Hills here. Rolling hills like the Smokies only smaller. This time of year is went it is the least pretty.

Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoky Mountains In Nov End

All seasons in the Smokies have their pluses and minuses. In November you have the minus of cold (though this year temperatures have been warmer than usual in the lower elevations), lack of foliage, and closed roads, but the pluses of better views (best visibility and no foliage in the way), snow, and little to no crowding. Streams have a unique vitality during the winter and you really get your bang for your buck as far as high elevation hikes for views go.

6. Re: Smoky Mountains In Nov End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...