We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Ludington
Level Contributor
68 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

The three places that everyone seems to say are the places to visit will be closed when we will be there. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

Cataloochee, Greenbrier, Oconaluftee.....might want to check and see if Cataloochee closes for the winter if that's when you will be there.

Ludington
Level Contributor
68 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

Thank you, we will be there 3/28-4/2 so we should be ok

nashville
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

if you plan on mainly auto-touring you'll probably be disapointed by all the closed roads. by foot, there's still plenty to do.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

The town of Cherokee will still be open per say, but all the souvenir shops and most restaurants and motels will be closed to tourism. And I believe the Okonoluftee museum and village will also be closed.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143031-i2563-k331…

Follow the above thread for pros and cons.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

Chimney Tops picnic area is really beautiful, next to a roaring river in a wooded area.

A nice stroll on flat ground is the Little River Trail in Elkmont.

The Sugarlands Visitor Center is a fun place to shop, get to know the layout of the smokies, get questions answered, and take a couple of easy nature walks.

Drive up to Newfound Gap for the view. Then head down the N.C. side for some wonderful vistas on the pull-offs. There's another visitor center at the completion of that route just before you get to Cherokee.

The Greenbriar and Cosby areas of the park are wonderful, and less traveled by the crowds.

Townsend has a Mountain Farm Museum which is educational for the kids and many adults..

There is a picnic area at Metcalf Bottoms that borders the river. This area is easily accessed by Wear's Valley Road and Lyon Springs Road. Great shortcut if staying in Pigeon Forge or Wear's Valley.

We never run out of things to do in the Smokies. Sometimes a relaxing day in the cabin is just what we need.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

I wholeheartedly agree with dawgcentral, no matter if a few places are closed because of currant snowfall or the season, (providing its not too cold) my wife and I always seem to get a lot of relaxation from a leisurely picnic lunch at either Metcalf Bottoms or any of the other campgrounds. Or just a day of "stay-in" at your cabin or motel.

Ludington
Level Contributor
68 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

Thank you, the main reason for the trip is relaxation so it's okay if we don't have a lot to do, I just needed an idea of something to do, I'm also thinking a day at the cabin will be in order too. Afterall why rent a cabin if we aren't going to enjoy it, right. My daughter loves to go on picnics so I'm glad you mentioned a good spot for that. Everyone has been so helpful and I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

I mentioned Metcalf Bottoms firstly because its located right at the banks of the Little Pigeon river. ( I think thats its name) Also because every single picnic table has its own grill, clean restroom facilities and plenty of parking.

10. Re: Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome & Roaring Fork closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...