We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

We are looking hit the park this summer with multiple families and some of the kids are elementry school age and others are younger and will most likely be in strollers. It doing a little research it seems the Laurel Falls trail would be stroller/kid friendly.

Any suggestions for other stroller friendly trails or are they any?

Thanks.

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

I personally wouldn't take a stroller on Laurel Falls Trail. I think they say stroller friendly because it is paved, but it is fairly steep with steep drop-offs. I guess you could take one, but you would have to hold on to it every minute.

Cataract Falls behind the Sugarlands visitor center is not paved, but it is relatively flat with few roots. The Falls aren't very big, but I would think it more appropriate for strollers than Laurel Falls.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

The only paved trail in the park I think is truly stroller friendly is the Oconaluftee River Trail the leaves off from Oconaluftee Visitor Center. It's a nice trail. On the most part, though, if you'd like to try a few woodland rambles you might want to look into baby carriers (Kelty and the like) to pack the youngins around in. As said the Cataract Falls bit might prove a viable option, and if memory serves me, the Gatlinburg Trail might be decent as well.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

Hi ntlwhlr,

Below is a link to a website I recently discovered, "Smoky Mountains Handicapped Accessibility Guide". They have a link to trails and areas that are handicapped accessible. I would assume that if the trails listed are handicapped accessible, they would be great for folks with kids & strollers.

yoursmokies.com/handicappedaccessible.html

yoursmokies.com/handicappedaccessiblegsmnptr…

Bob

St. Louis
Level Contributor
256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

The small -wheeled strollers won't do you much good in the park.

a Jog type stroller would work quite a ways on the Little River Trail. Same for the main trail in out of Deep Creek. There are probably others,

The picnic areas should have room to stroller around in.

I pushed an umbrella stroll with child to Clingman's Dome once. Coming down was fun. Not recommended though.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

Thank you everyone for the information. We appreciate it all help and assistance in getting some early planning done.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

between memorial day and labor day cades cove loop is closed to cars until 10am every Saturday and Wednesday morning. with the fresh asphalt this actually might be doable for a stroller.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

A reminder, just in case you want to go before May 22:

"The Cades Cove Loop Road will be closed to all use, including hiking, biking, and auto touring, from March 1 - May 21, 2010."

Bob

Edited: 02 February 2010, 05:25
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
345 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

There are numerous "quiet walkways" posted along the trans-mouintain road and the Sugarlands-Cades Cove road. Several of these are handicapped accessible which means strollers would do fine on these short jaunts. Some of these lead to streams and are very nice short walks. The trail from Gatlinburg to Sugarlands Visitors Center is open for strollers.

Many people take strollers to Laural Falls although I agree that strict attention is necessary for children on parts of this trail.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

Thanks again for the additional help and information everyone.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Trails for Kids - Strollers

What part of the summer are you planning to go? We are planning a trip this summer (late summer (July/August)) and will be traveling with 11 and 14 year old girls and a 15 month old boy. I have been looking to buy a used framed carrier and just found one at a 2nd hand baby store that I am going to go look at tonight. It's a Kelty with rain shield etc. Hoping it will be what I want. These carriers can get pretty expensive so maybe you could find some used ones to take the little one's in. I'd love to hear about your trip and how the little ones enjoyed it!

Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...