We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With all that mother nature is doing shall we postpone

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
With all that mother nature is doing shall we postpone

our trip for mid April to the area to a later time?

Not sure if April is your Rainy wet month like it can be here in the NE so I am wonder should I post pone our trip to the area due to all the mud slides that seem to be happening?

I chose April for our trip for several reasons not as crowded and want to catch the Spring Wildflowers.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With all that mother nature is doing shall we postpone

There's no question that the slides have been unusually heavy this season compared to other years. Being socked in by snow is the dream of some visitors to the mountain areas, and road workers are equipped to clear most forms of precip. heading in there as long as you don't get stuck on a side road. Because of all this stuff this winter season could be ready to inflict a mushy foundation in the elevations this Spring as you can see, so I would hang lose and catch some later reports if you are concerned.

nashville
Level Contributor
985 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: With all that mother nature is doing shall we postpone

i don't think you can infer much from the current weather. i'm pretty sure they almost have the debris slide in the park cleaned up.

if you play the averages, the drier season in the smokies is Sept, Oct. with about 5-6 days of precipitation on average in the lower elevations. compare that to 9-10 days of precipitation in the rainier season in June, July and August.

...April falls somewhere in between.

of course, these are just averages. if you're in the park for more than a few days, you're gonna see some rain, more than likely.

Edited: 09 February 2010, 20:57
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With all that mother nature is doing shall we postpone

we went down the last week of April last year. Loved it-- TONS of wildflowers and dogwoods in bloom. Tree are in leaf, but undergrowth has not filled in, so... great for bear spotting. We planned AFTER the car weekend--

Stayed a week-- had rain that Thursday night thru most of Friday morning. Friday afternoon was clear and rain came back in for a couple of hours Friday night. That was it-- spring is spring-- some rain, sure, but shouldn't be something to hold you back. Make sure you get a cabin with a nice covered deck overlooking the valley for the rainy times :) Was great to sit and watch the rain and fog rise.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
344 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: With all that mother nature is doing shall we postpone

It will be most unusual if very adverse weather continues into April. There will be some rain, there is almost always some rain in the GSMNP. April can be the very best month to visit. Don't make your decision just yet.

5. Re: With all that mother nature is doing shall we postpone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:18