We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smokys portion of the at

ky.boy
Level Contributor
586 posts
Save Topic
smokys portion of the at

Has anyone hikes the entire smokys portion of the at?I think this is something i would like to do.How many miles is it and how much time would i need to set aside?

junktruck

nashville
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: smokys portion of the at

about 70. some folks do it in 2 days, some take 10 days

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smokys portion of the at

The most usual length I hear is a week.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
345 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smokys portion of the at

Have done that hike more than once. Usually start at Fontanna and go north and east to exit in North Carolina. It is about 70 miies, uphill most of the time. As to how long it takes, that depends on how tough I am when I begin the hike. I am 69 and don't go as fast as I used to but I still go! Parts of the hike, in the middle section of the park, are not too steep since you are on the main crest of the ridge.

Why don't you take the AT from Cosby out to Mt Cammerer to "get a taste" of the trail; then, if you have another day, drive out to Newfoundgap and do the AT out to Charlies Bunion. That will give you another taste.

Warning--the roughest part for me is always the pull up from Fontanna to the main crest.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: smokys portion of the at

>>Warning--the roughest part for me is always the pull up from Fontanna to the main crest.

the pull up to Thunderhead from Spence Field is one of the roughest climbs.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: smokys portion of the at

Junk,

I have done it and I enjoy a slower paced hike. Hiking to me is not a race unlike mountain biking or road biking. I like doing 10 to 12 mile days tops and have stayed in nearly every shelter on the AT through the park. I would suggest if you want to do it one journey plan on a week to 10 days depending on your hiking style. I have done it 2 sections from the dam to Clingman's dome and from NFGP to Davenport. I prefer the norther leg over the southern because of the geography and remoteness of it all. Spence field and russel are nice, but the northern side just holds some magic for me...good luck.

6. Re: smokys portion of the at

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 05:18