We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

We're planning on doing a picnic lunch in Cades Cove. Can we just pull off anywhere and have a picnic, like in the meadows and things? Or are there designated picnic spots within the Cove?

We are also wanting to see a sunrise (though rain is forecasted for the day we will be there) in Cades Cove.

Any recommendations for a good spot for these?

Thanks!

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
345 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

Park rules say "picnic at designated areas." The reasons are obvious-- litter and trash disposal. You will see many people eating wherever they please but this creates problems and may earn those doing it anything from a polite request to "move along" to a ticket for violating park rules.

Cades Cove is a valley. Watching the sunrise will mean you have a great deal of ambient light long before the sun comes over the mountains. Indeed, it will be fully light for hours before the orb of the sun appears over the mountain range.

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
778 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

There is a very pretty picnic area located to the left before you enter the cove. There are spots on a mountain stream. Very nice!

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

I did not know Park rules say "picnic at designated areas." People pull over any where they want all the time. many go out in the meadow or even the yards of the buildings.

The gate for Cades Cove is not opened until after sunrise. Some people have said they walk in before the gate is opened but then you have to walk back to where ever you park your car. It is beautiful right after the sunrise when they open the gate.

nashville
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

no, you can pinic whereever you like with a few exceptions. see the section 2.11 of the park regs here:

nps.gov/grsm/…09-Compendium.pdf

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

We have picnicked in the meadows many times. Throw a blanket on the ground and make sure you take everything back to the car with you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

Dude, way to go to whip out an obscure rules compendium. Nice. lol

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

Just one point for your morning. A foggy rainy morning makes for great pics in Cades Cove. In my opinion better than a sunny day.

right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

Yes, Cades Cove foggy pics are beautiful! And when the sun comes out and the fog starts rolling away you can take 5 pics one right after another and each beautifully different than the rest!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

Hi MrsT522,

I don't think you will have any problem at all having a picnic anywhere you want in Cades Cove. I would not go into fenced places where horses or cattle may be located. Also, use good judgment when doing so. You don't want to be guzzling down a quart of beer or a half gallon of wine, and being rowdy, if you know what I mean.

I think most all of the park rangers have good heads on their shoulders. If you all are acting like adults, the most that they may do is ask you to leave and move along. No harm, no foul. :-)

But, like others above have mentioned, please take everything you don't eat with you and dispose of it at a proper bear proof trash receptacle. I wouldn't even do something as simple as throwing out in the field a chicken bone or something like that.

Bob

Edited: 18 May 2010, 07:31
Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picnicing/Sunrise in Cades Cove

Thanks for the advice everyone! We'll probable wait and see what other people are doing, or if there are any picnic areas open and then make our decision.

Are the park rangers visible in the park? (I mean are they out and about talking with the people?) I ask not because I'm going to get rowdy and be disrespectful, but I think it'd be a nice conversation, and an interesting one!

Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...