We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ISO Info and seasoned advice

Crownsville
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ISO Info and seasoned advice

We're looking to drive the Smoky Mtns. with our truck camper. Need advice from veterans. Don't like switchbacks. Never been through the Smokies. Good campgrounds?

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
344 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ISO Info and seasoned advice

You can't drive the road from Cherokee to Gatlinburg (the transmountain road) without doing switchbacks. However, millions of peope, many of them in truck campers, do so every year.

The campgrounds in the park are good but are several of them are often crowded. NPS campgrounds have water and toilets but no bathhouses. There are many private campgrounds outside the park with electric hook-ups, showers, etc.

I have been camping and hiking in the Smoky Mtns since 1956 and my most recent trip was this month. You will enjoy the park and while driving will find many places to pull over and let traffic pass you so you need not feel rushed while becoming accustomed to the roads.

Do plan to park the camper and take some walks while driving around the park. You will see more and have fun doing so.

Crownsville
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ISO Info and seasoned advice

Thanks! Happy camping!

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ISO Info and seasoned advice

Drove through the mountains this summer in a 31' motorhome...no problems! Can't avoid switchback in the Smokeys!

Edited: 12 October 2010, 18:05
SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ISO Info and seasoned advice

I guess you'd classify one or two of the turns on 441 thru the GSMNP as a "switchback", but in my opinion they are very mild "switchbacks". I wouldn't fear the ones in the park driving a Pick-up with a camper in the bed-if that's what you are referring to as a "truck camper". If you could be more specific about your vehicle we could offer more intelligent responses? Enjoy the drive...

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ISO Info and seasoned advice

Hi zellko,

I agree with tenntraveller70. I would consider the switchbacks in the park gradual switchbacks. Now, if you get off the beaten path in the hills around Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, you will run into some pretty bad switchbacks on small one lane roads.

Every time I visit, I always see "campers" driving those huge bus size campers zipping around like their a Ferrari. LOL. Well, maybe not that fast.

tenntraveller70 gave two great bits of advice when driving. There are plenty of hikes, overlooks and quiet walks all along the roads in the Park. Stop and have fun and take plenty of pictures. Plus, be courteous and pull over at many of the pull-offs if you notice cars starting to pile up behind you

Bob

6. Re: ISO Info and seasoned advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 06:17