We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NC man gets 150 days in prison for shooting elk in Smokies

Louisville
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Topic
NC man gets 150 days in prison for shooting elk in Smokies

The U.S. Attorney’s Office in North Carolina announced that Bruce Wayne Cromer, Jr. of Stovall, North Carolina, was sentenced today after pleading guilty to unlawfully shooting and killing a bull elk within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

The animal was known as “Elk #21" and had been introduced into the Park in 2001 as part of a program by the National Park Service to repopulate elk in regions of their former habitat.

Cromer was sentenced to 150 days in prison for fatally shooting the elk within park boundaries in November of 2009.

Cromer must also relinquish his hunting license for two years, and forfeit his rifle, which was autographed by NASCAR legend Richard Petty. He has also been banned from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and all other National Parks for a period of two years as well.

Jeff

www.HikingintheSmokys.com

…blogspot.com/2010/07/nc-man-gets-150-days-i…

Edited: 15 July 2010, 21:17
Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NC man gets 150 days in prison for shooting elk in Smokies

This is good, but still not enough! He should NEVER be allowed to have a hunting/fishing permit (or own a gun) or ever be permitted to enter any of the National Parks. #21 was an icon in the park.

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NC man gets 150 days in prison for shooting elk in Smokies

That's a very easy let off. Sure thought the sentence would have been a lot worse especially being that it was in the National Park and an introduced animal as well.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NC man gets 150 days in prison for shooting elk in Smokies

First let me say that I hunt and fish. Now that is out of the way I feel that this sentence is a joke. Killing this animal is like shooting rats in a barrel. These animals will stand there and eat with people taking pictures of them with in 100 feet. This person should never be allowed to have a hunting or fishing permit again. He should also be paying big bucks to replace the animal. His rifle was autographed by Richard Petty. I bet the Natural Park could sell raffle tickets for it and make a few bucks.

John

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,193 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NC man gets 150 days in prison for shooting elk in Smokies

It was my understanding that at one point the park service might be able to go after more fines from Cromer based on the "care and upkeep" costs of Elk #21 over the years. I guess that isn't going to happen after all, but it would be a good idea.

Elk #21 was a legend in the Cataloochee area, and I was privledged to see and photograph him last October just before this incident. He was a magnificant specimen of a bull elk and it broke my heart when I heard of his murder.

5. Re: NC man gets 150 days in prison for shooting elk in Smokies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 06:15