We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway?

Dexter, Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway?

Going to be staying in Wears Valley TN in October, which drive would be better for fall colors, views, etc? It looks like they are both about same distance from where we're staying. I have been on the parkway so was thinking of trying the skyway. Either one will probably be a day long drive?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway?

The Cherohala would probably fit your Wears Valley location better. You could do the section of Foothills Parkway out from Townsend in both directions and do the Tail of the Dragon too, which may or may not appeal to you. Or you could just go over the mountains to Cherokee, then head for Cherohala, and come back on Foothills Parkway. Either way, yes you should probably plan on taking the whole day.

Copperhill TN
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway?

my votes for the cherohala ... (& don't forget to bring your camera)

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway?

I also vote for the Cherohala. When in the area don't miss these 2 beautiful places.

www.main.nc.us/graham/hiking/joycekil.html

www.tnvacation.com/vendors/bald_river_falls/

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway?

I love the BRP...higher elevation and just more majestic. And don't assume we will get much good fall color this year...last year as a washout...hopefully this one will be better but do some research before you leave.

5. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala Skyway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...