We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thunderhead mountain hike

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Topic
thunderhead mountain hike

Just trying to get an idea of how long it takes to hike p to thunderhead and back down,in case the weather doesnt cooperate id like to know how much time i need to get the hike done.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: thunderhead mountain hike

It looks like it is 13.9 miles round trip to Thunderhead Mountain and back.Enjoy all of your hikes in the smokies.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: thunderhead mountain hike

I did this hike last year...don't remember it being that far but maybe it was. There are probably a couple of different trailheads you could use. But there realy isn't much of a view from Thunderhead...nice one from Rocky Top though which you go through if you approach from that side of the AT.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
345 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thunderhead mountain hike

Anthony Creek to Bote Mountain to the AT, then out to Thunderhead---about 6 miles one way. Made this hike last autumn and enjoyed it but it was a good day's hike for me and my wife. We ran low on water before we got back which is unusual for us.

4. Re: thunderhead mountain hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor