We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for those who have hiked thunderhead

ky.boy
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Topic
for those who have hiked thunderhead

I will be going back to area in mid febuary to hike to the top of thunderhead mountain via anthony creek trailhead.I will be getting dropped off at the trailhead and picked back up later-im trying to figure out how long it should take to get to the top and back down so i can try and time my pick up about right.Any one with personal experience i would apreciatte the input.

thx ahead of time,junktruck

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
340 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

Responding to your question in a realistic fashion is impossible for me because of the timing of your visit. Mid-Feb may bring warm temps or it may bring the biggest snow of the year. We often snow in mid-Feb and if we do, all bets are off on the time it would take you.

nashville
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

yeah... if there's a bunch of snow up there, you might be hard-pressed to do this as a dayhike.

ky.boy
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

I need the time for a ground is bone dry hike and my experience will tell me how much longer it will take according to the trail conditions on the day of the hike.I do lots of winter hiking up mt. leconte and back down and have learned to adjust my time accordingly but i dont have a good base time for thunderhead.

Thx,junktruck

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
340 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

Five and 1/2 miles one way (approximately). Trail was in good conditdion when I last took it this past summer. I am not a speedy hiker so the round trip took me about 6 hours walking time plus my lunch and rest stops. I seem to recall that you have said that you are "a crazy fast hiker" but my time may give you something to work with.

nashville
Level Contributor
983 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

i think the hike is closer to 7.5 miles each way

ky.boy
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

thx,tenn. thats what i needed.

junktruck

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

Junk:

I can now tell from real deep snow hiking experience...time is decieving. My regular hiking pace is about 2 miles an hour with a 35 pound backpack and maybe 2.5 without one. If you have snow above the ankle to knee deep, it more than quadrupaled my time... this winter over Christmas break we were lucky to make half mile in hour and it was more like a quarter mile an hour when snows reached about knee deep. It is exhausting. If you plan this hike and there is snow, I say go for it, but I would not do this alone with deep snow on the trail. This is how people get in trouble or die....

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

If you have Google Earth, you should be able to see the elevation gain on the route you are going to take. You can easily figure out the distance from a Smokies trail map. Then with all that information and knowledge about your own hiking speed, it should be easy to estimate the time.

Weather/snow is really the only real variable involved.

ky.boy
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

smokybob,i have lots of experience hiking in snow as its my favorite time of the year to go hiking.As prepared as i am ,i am also smart enough to know if the snow gets above 6 inches deep on a long hike there is never a good reason to go on-i always use good sense and turn around-to go on would be stupid and would be takin your life or others in your hands-a risk not worth taking.

junktruck

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: for those who have hiked thunderhead

Junk,

Given you have that experience, then you and only you should be able to judge the distance and time thing. No real need to ask the question I suppose..just say'n.

The internet is an odd place where folks often project their own fears and so forth in forums and message boards. For instance I enjoy offshore fishing in my own boat and I enjoy adventure. I want to run to the Dry Tortugas and asked about some navigation ideas. I never asked if I should run there or not or if my boat was too small or if I did not have the range in terms of fuel. What I got was advice like you should not go and so forth. I know my boat, its range and my limitations as a captain. I was asking about specific insight on navigating, nothing more, nothing less. People assume too much about other's experiences and then put their own fears and issues into a discussion. If I did this here with you, I apologize because I try not to put my own fears into advice.

With that said, somebody once said if you have to ask, then maybe you should not go, in reference to outdoor adventure, going offshore in a boat, etc...