We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

So, here's my question, we are planning our second trip to the mountains, and we can't decide when to go. Our two options are:

May 19-24

June 16-25 ish (we would plan about 5 days in this time frame)

Would these two dates be too late to see the flowers in full bloom?

Also what hikes would you recommend we do during these times? (We've done Chimney Tops and that was pretty difficult for us)

We went last year during the same time frame in May, and had a great time, but didn't see many flowers.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

The end of April and the 1st of May are the best times to see all the wild flowers in bloom.I would go in May because June will be hot.I was there last June and it was really hot the whole time we were there.We like to go in mid April thats a good time to go not to hot and not to cold.A popular hike is Laurel Falls.Alot of people really like this hike.I havent taken it but plan on it in April.

Which ever you decide have a good time.

Edited: 06 February 2011, 20:52
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

I highly recommend Alum Cave Bluff Trail for a hike. It goes all the way to the top of Mt Leconte, where there is a lodge (reservation only). It is about a 5 mile trail to the lodge, but many people stop at the halfway point, Alum Cave Bluff. It is a beautiful hike, with many log stream crossings, beautiful views, neat rock formations Arch Rock is one- sort of cave that has steps and you climb through it along the trail.

We have hiked this trail twice, and it was just as much fun the second time.

This year we plan on trying Charlie's Bunion. From what I have read, it is a good trail also.

June is the month for the fireflies near Elkmont, if that is something that would interest you.

Edited: 06 February 2011, 22:56
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

This is an easy one for me, go in your June time frame.

Take the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee to Asheville North Carolina. The Flame Azaleas, Rhododenruns and Mountain Laurel will be in full bloom. The best part is from Maggie Valley to highway 215. It i so pretty.

In the park take the 10 mile round trip hike to Gregory Bald. When you get to the top the field is ablaze in orange Flame Azaleas.

If you don't mind driveing 21/2 hours away is Roan Mt. It is on the Tn/Nc state line. Go on or near June 20. The Rhododenrun garden there is the largest in the world.

Another short hike I recommend is Hooper Bald on NC/Tn state line. Great Flame Azalea species at top. Also the field is covered in yellow Sundrop wildflowers.

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
345 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

Jaded24fan is right about the blooming shrubs. Cherokeegurl has it right about the flowers. The wildflower peak is about the end of April but how long the winter weather lasts will influence the actual peak of bloom.

If you can get to the park during the wildflower time the Greenbrier area is very good for seeing flowers and the trails are reasonable walks.

Level Contributor
1,047 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

the spring ephemerals come in waves starting in mid-March, through the end of April. they do their thing before the trees leaf-out to take advantage of the sunlight.

you would miss the ephemerals for the most part.

mid May is a great time to catch the Mt. Laurel in bloom, and mid June is the time to catch the azaleas and catawba rhododendron (the pink ones that grow up high, not the white ones).

to find the catawbas head to a heath bald like Maddron Bald, or anywhere higher on the slopes of Leconte (Alum Cave Trail, Brushy Mtn, Boulevard Trail). azaleas are at their best on the grassy balds like Gregory or Andrews balds. Spence Field is great for Mt Laurel.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

Like the fall where the mountain tops turn first...spring is fall in reverse, either of these times you will catch wildflowers...May they will be in the lower to middle elevations while in June you will find flowers at the higher elevations , such as Andrews Bald, Gregory Bald and along the Blue Ridge Parkway..

7. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 16:54
Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

I would think that you would agree with yourself jaded24fan/Travel0070.

Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

Is this person posting under multiple nicknames?

I'm sure that is against the rules, but I'm having trouble finding the posting guidelines that address this. Can you post a link?

And what may I ask is/should be the punishment for such behavior? Has anyone ever been banned for such an offense?

Thank you for your attention to this matter. You do us all a great service by bringing such behavior to our attention.

Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When would you plan your trip to see blooms?

Dawg, I'm definitely not CG but yes, it is in the rules. Click the link in the messages that have been removed and you will find this:

Every person is limited to one screen name.

Consider your screen name to be your passport to the TripAdvisor travel forums. Every person is limited to one forums screen name; members with multiple screen names will be banned. Do not create screen names to impersonate other members or TripAdvisor staff or you'll quickly be deported from the forums. "

I don't personally know of anyone being banned but I do know TA removes the additional screen names.

Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question